Chapter 52 - Final Four

Polly had gotten another text later that day that another couple would be going home tonight. In preparation, our group was spending more time together than ever before. We followed each other like ducklings across the garden. If one Islander had to fill their water bottle or reapply sunscreen, someone else was already on their feet to follow them; no one would be alone today.

Peyton was feeling the day the heaviest. Her casual, lighthearted demeanor was weighed down by the threat of leaving the villa. As much as I hated to think about it, it was most likely that Peyton and Anthony would get sent home tonight. The results of their lie detector challenge had practically ruined their chances of staying much longer.

Another phone chimed while all ten Islanders were lounging together in the pool. Anthony paddled backward and lifted the screen to his eyes. "It's Maddie's."

I swam up beside him and took the phone from him, my eyes squinting to read the small letters against the sun's glare. "Islanders- along with the dumping vote, America is also voting who they'd like to put in the Hideaway tonight." A crazy blush rushed to my cheeks and I took my time putting my phone down, hiding my face from the group. I tilted my sunglasses down to cover my cheeks and swam back to join the group.

"Wow... they haven't handed out the hideaway since Peach and me," Charlie stated. "I wonder who will get it."

Peach shrugged her shoulders. "I don't really mind, honestly. What happens, happens. Whoever gets chosen, it was meant to be." She reached out and hooked her arm around Gray's bicep. He smiled down at her.

"I love how the girls are being so nonchalant, but I'm sure the guys are freaking out in their heads," Polly giggled, leaning into Lucas.

"I've barely even thought of it," Lucas said. The pink hue of his face gave away the truth.

"Whew, the girls have some chatting to do." Peach stood up and gestured to the girls to follow her. "C'mon ladies. We'll be back, boys."

I tapped Charlie's shoulder as a gentle goodbye and stood to my feet to follow Peach and the others out of the pool. We sat down on towels on top of the turf across the garden, far enough so that the boys shouldn't hear us unless we shouted. As the last girl sat down, we waited for someone to talk first. Finally, Peach accepted this responsibility.

"I wanna talk about the hideaway!" Peach grinned and leaned forward. "God, I hope it's me."

"Really?" I asked. "You've finally found that connection with Gray?"

Peach smiled at me and nodded. "Yeah. I just feel like I wasted it the last time, so I'd like to have another shot. But I won't be mad if someone else gets it. It's someone else's turn, anyway."

"I'll be happy for whoever gets it. I think I'd like it, too," Polly contributed.

"If you and Lucas get the hideaway, he might have a heart attack," Sara laughed. 

"What about you guys?" Peach asked Peyton and me.

"Yeah, I think it'd be cool. I wouldn't mind," I said. 

Peyton shook her head with a soft smile. "No way in hell America's going to put Anthony and me in a room together unless they want to see blood."

A soft silence lulled between the group. Our heads collectively turned as Lucas yelped from the pool, but nothing exciting followed so we turned our attention back to each other. I leaned back and laid down on my towel, letting the sun evaporate the water off of my skin.

"Who do you think's going home?" Polly asked quietly.

"I don't think it's much of a surprise." Peyton's voice was riddled with disappointment. "Anthony and me. I just wonder why he chose me at that recoupling, without speaking to Mason or me."