Chapter 54 - Spa Day

"Hell yes," Peyton moaned as she stepped into the steaming water of the hot tub and sank to her chin. Her eyes closed briefly as she enjoyed the warmth of the bubbles.

For our spa day, we were chauffeured down the road to a little building overlooking the ocean. After slathering our faces in blue clay and grabbing our complimentary glasses of wine, we turned to the hot tub on the deck to enjoy our numbered hours for which we had no responsibility.

"I miss Tommy," Polly mumbled beneath the humming of the jets.

"Polly, please, no talking about the babies." Peach's hands lifted out of the water to press onto her scalp. "Just thinking about them gives me a headache. Why won't they stop crying? Our little Chicago never stops. No matter how much we feed her, change her diaper, and cuddle her, it's like her system is malfunctioning."

Peyton nodded with exhaustion. "I know I said I was looking forward to kids... I take it back, just a little bit. I am so excited to be a mom, but this is so much work... and these are just robots! Maybe I'm not ready to be a mom just yet."

I nodded and lifted my glass into the air. "You said it, babe."

"Watching Maddie with her baby is so funny," Polly giggled across the hot tub. "You and Charlie both look like you've never held a baby before."

"I actually haven't held a baby before. Ever," I revealed.

"What?" Peyton found this shocking. "How? You've just never been around kids your entire life?"

I shook my head. "Not babies. I'm an only child, all my cousins are older than me, and I never babysat. The only thing I know about kids is from a few biology classes and a lot of movies."

Peyton giggled and shook her head. "Gosh, please do more research than watching a movie!"

"I don't know... before I have a kid, I think I'll just watch the movie 'What to Expect When You're Expecting' and take it from there. I'm sure it'll be useful enough," I joked.

"God," Peach laughed, letting her head slap the water in defeat. "I know you're joking, but that so sounds like something Charlie would do."

"You'll probably have kids before I do, Peach. Just invite me over to babysit, and I'll have a test run," I laughed.

Peach playfully rolled her eyes. "Only if you agree to do more research than a Cameron Diaz movie."

"Hey, put some respect on Princess Fiona's name!" I demanded.

"What do you think the boys are doing without us?" Polly asked, looking dreamily up at the sky.

"Having a relay race. I'll be shocked if I come back to Marley in one piece," I said. "I feel like Charlie's the type to go all out to try and win it, even if it means our robot becomes an amputee."

Polly held a shocked hand to cover her mouth. "You think they're being that rough? Not Lucas, I know he wouldn't do anything to poor Tommy." She thought about it for a moment, letting a soft silence smudge the air around us. "Oh my god, he better not be hurting our baby!"

Peach hummed at the thought, comparing her own situation. "I'd like to think Gray would be more careful. Just because he knows that I'm already attached to this damn thing."

"Yup," Peyton nodded. "Fully agreed. And Anthony's an elementary school teacher, I'm pretty sure our baby will be fully intact, with zero points missing."

Bottles of nail polish were brought out. With dozens to select from, I went with a soft pink that covered my entire nail in a single coat. The glossy finish collected droplets of steam as I fanned my hand through the air.