Chapter 12

Two weeks. Two weeks went by and my life had not gotten any easier living with the devil himself. I tried to listen to him. I really tried. I did what he asked, what he ordered me to do. Nevertheless, he always found a way to punish me with a slap, a punch, or a kick.

My bruises, however, did not increase, he would only hit me once to make his point. Making clear that it was him who was in charge. Not me. So, the bruises stayed on my body, once healed another would be painted on my skin.

Most of the days Edric would be away. I had no clue where, but I did not care. I only cared about his temporary disappearance. For a short period of time where I could breathe without having to look over my shoulder.

Some days he would be at home, mostly on Sundays, and then people would come over to our house. It would be Alex and some other men. They would go to Edric's office and stay there for a long period of time. After they would stay for dinner.

These dinners were absolutely horrible. I had to sit there and stay quiet no matter what. But that was not the worst part, oh no. The worst part was the topics they discussed while they ravaged themselves in the food I made. They talked about women and their sex lives in the most degrading and violating way.

By now I had learned that the supposed beautiful outside world was a rotten place with selfish, arrogant, and obnoxious people. It was at times like this I wished I was back at my father's mansion. Knowing what I know now, I would never complain about wanting to leave the house again.

The sun was blasting on my exposed skin while I worked in the garden. I planted beautiful flowers into the ground. While I was putting the plant in their assigned places by me, I heard footsteps nearing me.

My body tensed, my breath hitched, and my hands trembled, this was my standard reaction when I thought Edric was close to me. I flinched when I heard words being spoken. "What are you doing in this bloody hot weather?"

I sighed in relief. It was Alex.

I stood up from my squatted position and dusted my hands off. "Gardening," I said in a soft voice.

Alex had his hands in his pockets and stood relaxed on the grass lawn. He looked out over the large area that belonged to this house, to Edric. When I gave my answer he responded back, "But why? Why not... do some girl things inside, where the AC is on? You know like eating chocolate or watching a movie?"

I could not withhold my giggle. "If you think that are the only things young ladies like me do, then you have a wrong perception of what girls and women do Alex."

Alex's lip was tucked upwards, making a small smile appear on his face. "Yeah, I'm sorry, but as you have already seen I live in a world with only men surrounding me. So, I have no idea what you, the other gender, like." He said while scratching his neck.

Alex was a kind person. He was the only person in this house who treated me like an equal.

"But still why being outside? I have been only here for a few minutes and I already want to go inside."

"I've nothing to do inside and I need to keep myself busy. And I have a passionate love for flowers and nature in general." Alex only nodded his head at my explanation.

Three days ago, I finished the library. I had not only rearranged the books but the furniture too. It now looked like a neat and good place to read a decent book. But, after finishing my job I needed a new one. My mind needed to rest from all the negative things flowing within my head. If I did nothing for too long dark thoughts and memories would wander around in my mind.

So, to keep my head clear and positive I needed something time-consuming to do.

While I continued my work and Alex stood next to me watching as I worked, Edric approached us.

I hoped he came for Alex, unfortunately, that was not the case.

"Ava, go shower now!" His stern voice stretched over the backyard. Only there was hint of distress lacing his voice. I wonder what happened to make him anxious enough to for losing his cool in front of me. "Make yourself presentable." He said with his intimidated look, which meant there was no room for any disobedience.

I was too afraid to ask why, but Alex on the other hand was not. "What happened?" His voice sounded worried as well.

"Xavier is coming." Edric hissed.

Excitement grew inside of me, but there was also this pit in my stomach that dropped. I grew anxious as well. In no way I looked presentable for my brother. I lost several pounds because of stress and lack of eating also caused by stress.

I even had not thought of my bruises. It would be a lot of work to cover them up.

I stood there with mud and dust on my hands and face in the flower garden that I was arranging, stressing out because of the arrival of my brother.

"What are you standing there?! Make yourself presentable!" Edric roared.

I scrambled away and made my way quickly inside. It took me forty minutes to be ready and just when I was making my way down, I heard people talking in the foyer.

I continued my descent down the steps of the stair. Soon my brother appeared in my vision. Seeing him was like coming home. I quickened my steps and run up to him. I embraced my big brother in a big bear hug.

Xavier chuckled. "Well, it is good to see you too, little sister." He had put his strong arms around me. Welcoming me. I sighed in relief, this was the first time in a long time I did not feel stressed.

When I stepped back, I suggested going to the living room. I prepared some drinks and sat them down on the coffee table. Xavier, Alex, and Edric were already seated and I chose to sit next to my brother. I snuggled up against his side, missing his touch and presence.

"Thanks for the drink, little sister." Xavier thanked me while giving me a kiss on my head.

After he took a big gulp and sat the glass down he spoke, "I hope you have treated my sister well, Edric." Xavier said with a sharp look at my evil husband. "O-of course, Xavier. Right Ava?" Edric gave me a knowing look, a look that said I needed to be careful what I was about to say next.

"Y-yes."

My brother did not look inertially convinced but let the topic rest. He followed his question with more questions about how I was adjusting here and to my new life.

I told him about meeting the three ladies that worked here, the library that I organized, and the arranging of the garden. This was the first time I dared to speak openly in front of Edric. I was disappointed in myself as I had not tried to get Xavier to visit me sooner. If I had known I would feel at such ease, I would have called for him myself.

His visit, however, was short. He said he had some time in between appointments but had now go back to work. I waved him goodbye on the driveway, growing more and more anxious. Being alone once again with Edric.

But Xavier was not the only person who made a visit to our house. Three days later I heard again voices coming from the foyer late at night. And this time it was female voices.

Thanks for reading and stay safe!