Chapter 19

WARNING! Sensitive topics will be discussed in this chapter, which could be triggering. Read at own risk! 

And I warn you, only read when you know for sure! 

I had just put on my clothes, making myself ready for a new day. Evelyn would be coming back today. She had visited her friend for a couple of days and came back to our house to keep me company again. She wanted to look at the room which could be possibly the nursery for the baby.

When I left the bathroom and was ready to exit the bedroom, I heard people shouting downstairs. I quickened my steps and headed towards the noise, only I was held back by the sound of a gunshot.

I tensed.

Careful I stepped forward. This was a stupid idea, I thought. You should run away! A voice in my head shouted at me.

Short after the shot, it became silent, like the silence before a storm. Then all hell broke loose. Multiple gunshots were fired, by the sound of it. More people started to yell at each other.

Instinctively, I stepped back.

I saw a figure appearing around the corner. I wanted to shout for help, but seeing who it was, I remained quiet. I calmed down.

It was Alex.

"What are you standing there?! Run Ava!" He shouted at me with a panicked face. I did not understand what was happening. Still, I listened to him.

Before I turned around, I saw someone behind Alex. I wanted to shout at him to step away, only it was already too late. A gun was fired and hit Alex in the back. Soon he coughed up blood and fell on his knees.

I was paralyzed from shock. I put my hands automatically around my stomach. I looked up and saw a man with an evil smirk on his face. I did not wait any longer. I turned around and run into the bedroom.

Locked the door.

I run further to the bathroom.

Locked the door.

I looked at the windows, they could be opened. I looked down and then I knew I was trapped. It was too high from up here and I did not want to risk the safety of my child. I hoped I could hide in here long enough.

I sat down in the shower, the wall around the shower made me invisible if you were to enter the bathroom.

I waited and waited. I had looked for my phone, but I think I left it downstairs. For a short moment, I thought I was safe, and I could sit this one out. Only I could not be farther away from the truth.

The bathroom door broke open and I heard multiple people barging in. I held my breath, too afraid to make any sound. I heard footsteps coming from all the corners of the bathroom. It would not take long before they had found me.

Then I heard a sinister voice. "Well, well, well, look who we have here, the Angelo princess." I looked up to be met with the same man who shot Alex. My whole body trembled.

"P-Please, please d-don't hurt me." I pleaded. I was so scared, never in my life, I was this scared.

I heard people laugh and mock me. A tear rolled down my cheek.

"We'll see about that." With that, the man grabbed me by my hair and dragged me towards the front door.

Instinctively, my hands went up to his where he was holding my hair. It hurt. I hissed and groaned. I pleaded with the man to let go, but my words fell to deaf ears. The moment I left the stairs behind me I saw bodies scattered all around the floor. One of them I had recognized, Edric.