Chapter 27

Hot tears were escaping my eyes. I felt them slowly rolling down my cheeks and saw them falling down on the ground, making small pools of my misery on the wooden floors. When I thought back on our conversation, I hugged my legs tighter. They want me to marry someone again.

I do not want that.

I want peace.

I want to have a happy life again, with no pain, no fear, and no marriage.

I squeezed my eyes shut and laid my head on my knees. Trying to hide from the world. After my outburst I stormed towards my room. Escaping from my problems. I felt betrayed by Nicholas, by Evelyn, and mostly by my brother. Why did he not come for me? Why did he ask Nicholas to safe me? Why not himself?

It seems that I have always questions on my mind lately and I knew it was not my fault. Everybody who I met kept me in the dark. I am done living like that. I want to break free from the prison I am right now and spread my wings. I want freedom.

I want peace.

From now on I will fight for myself. I will not let myself be pushed around any longer. If I want answers, I will get them. I am Ava Angelo, and I am a daughter of the, once, most powerful man in this state. If I want something it will be on my terms and my terms only.

The sound of a door opening brought me back from my thoughts. It was Evelyn standing in the doorway. "May I come in?" Her voice wavered. The once confident woman I used to know, stood now nervous in front of me, asking a very simple question.

I nodded my head and she joined me on the floor, sitting with her back against the bed frame. She remained quiet for some time. As I opened my mouth to ask her why she was here, Evelyn spoke up, "I honestly don't know what to say. I-I had no idea Edric treated you like that. When I first met you, I did see some bruises and when I was alone with my brother, I had a serious talk with him. I thought it was a one-time type of thing, at least that was what he said. Of course, I should have come to you... I'm sorry Ava, for everything." I felt grateful. Maybe she should have come to me, but I think after she spoke with him the beatings were less intense.

"I still miss my brother," she went on, "but something in me tells me that his death was his punishment. First, I thought because of his criminal work but now it is because of the way he treated you. And guess what?"

"What?" I asked curious.

"He fucking deserves it." Tears of anger were lingering in the eyes of Evelyn.

I did not know how to respond and the best thing I could come up with was, "Thank you." Silence surrounded us again, but now a pleasant silence, comforting us both.

"You know from the point I knew Edric was going to marry you until now I felt guilty." I faced Evelyn with a confused expression. Signalling her to go on and explain further. "If it weren't for you, I would be the one to marry some mafia don to make our mafia stronger." Surprised I looked at Evelyn. Did she marry someone as well?

She continued, "I was always against it, and I voiced that pretty loud towards my father. He never liked my attitude, but I always found a way to prevent that from happening. I travelled to be out of my father's sight, that's why I was in Europe before I met you. When I came back, I heard about your marriage and that I could do whatever I wanted from my father."

Evelyn sighed. "If only I knew what the price was for my freedom. I'm sorry Ava."

"Don't say that." I looked back at my hands, playing with my fingers. "I don't wish for anyone to go through what I had to go through."

"But that's why I feel guilty... and especially now. I know you don't want it and I also don't want for you to be set up in another political marriage, only this time it really is important."

No longer I wanted to sit next to Evelyn. She knew about my struggles. Why trying and convincing me? I stood up and walked away, not knowing where to.

"Please Ava, listen to me. Nicholas is a good guy. He won't do anything to hurt you like... like Edric did. It just for your protection and if you listen to him maybe you both can work something out. He is reasonable Ava, if you want something in return for this marriage, I'm sure he can make that happen." She pleaded, looking desperate at me It almost despised me.

"Why don't you marry him then?! Or- or why doesn't my brother take his title back?!" Frustrated I ran my hand through my hair. Why was this so difficult for them to understand? I do not want to get married, what part do they not understand?

"I don't have the answers for that, that's why it's important for you to talk to them."

I hated for what I was to say next. But I had a feeling if I didn't, I would be only in bigger problems. Problems even more difficult to escape than the ones I am in right now.

"Fine." I grumbled.

I walked back to the living room. Both men startled when I entered the room. "Talk."

• • •

"So, Xavier can't reclaim his title because most of 'his' men walked over to others. And I have to marry Nicholas so no one can touch me. Because in numbers he is one of the strongest already, but because of his neutrality people will not back off to get me. And I'm the one who has to get married because they are after me a not Evelyn even though she is also a daughter of a so called 'top dog'." I repeated their explanation they gave me an hour ago. A groan escaped past my lips.

"The ceremony does not have to be grand. We will only invite a few people, some of them allies from the underworld who will spread the news that we are married. You will have to live here, if everything goes well, with more freedom than you have now." Nicholas said with a sad smile. I knew he was trying to be patient and understanding with me. From all the men I got to know in this 'underworld' he was the most decent one.

I understood better why I had to marry him, but I had my terms as well. "I'll marry you, but on my conditions."

"Ava! You cannot-" my brother started.

"It's okay Xavier. If she hadn't any conditions, it wouldn't be fair. Please go on."

"But you will protect her, isn't that enough?!" My brother almost screamed at him.

A dark look was placed on Nicholas' face, "Xavier, this marriage is between us. You don't have to worry that I will ask more as payment from you back. Your sister has the right to give her terms as well, because in the end you and I will benefit more of this marriage than she will. Understood?"

It was the first time I saw my brother getting scolded. If it weren't for the serious situation, I would have laughed. Maybe it was not so bad to marry Nicholas. "I want to go to college."

A sigh was heard. "I can arrange an online college. It will be too dangerous for you to go to public places like that were you have to spend a lot of time." I crossed my arms, not happy with his answer.

"I want to get my driver license." I muttered. Already thinking he was going to say no to this as well.

"That can be arranged, under supervision of course." Nicholas crossed his legs and wrote my conditions down on a piece of paper in front of him.

"No touching, or kissing, or... you know." This was an important one for me. I did not want a repeating of history.

"Of course. Anything else?" I had no idea what I wanted more. I knew that going out would still be difficult. I fumbled with my fingers to think what I wanted more. Then something came to my mind. "No more lying or keeping any information from me. If I ask a question, I want an answer. I'm sick of it that I was kept away from everything all my life."

I saw that Xavier wanted to object again, but Nicholas stopped him. "As my wife you will have the right to know what is going on and I will keep you updated when needed."

I nodded my head. "Okay that's it." 

Nicholas stood up, "Okay than, we have a wedding to plan." 

Thanks for reading and stay safe!