Chapter 16

"What's that?" Edric pointed at the pregnancy test. I did not want to show him, but I could not resist him either. Careful he took my hand in his and removed the object from my hand. He was quiet when he looked at it.

"What is it Edric?" Evelyn now asked. He showed her and she gasped. She took the test in her hands and looked at it multiple times, to make sure it was real. Soon both their parents stood around her, taking in the news as well.

Miranda copied her daughter and gasped out as well, but it sounded more out of joy than from shock. "Well, this is wonderful news!"

"Mother!" Evelyn hissed.

"Another problem solved, well-done son." Marcus, the father of Edric, muttered. A slap on the back was given and both shared a small smile.

How could people be happy about this? How could people even be happy?

"I-I need to go... I need my brother." I muttered as I stumbled towards the front door. I did not make it far. Soon two hands were on my shoulder, spinning me around. "Sweetie, you can't go outside now, it's dangerous." Evelyn tried to explain to me.

"Yes, you are now our number one priority. You are carrying the heir of our family. Absolutely no leaving the house." Marcus told me sternly. His glance was even more intimidating than his son's.

"B-But my b-brother... he, I..." I could not make any more sense after that. I became a sobbing mess, trying to say something. Evelyn and Miranda both ushered me upstairs and tucked me in. It was only when I hit the bed, that I felt how exhausted my body was.

I was falling. I fell into a deep, dark hole. 

There was no end to it. 

Somebody help me. 

And then suddenly I landed on a couch. Next to me was my brother. He smiled at me, stroking my head, and kissing my forehead. I talked to him, but he did not hear me. 

"Xavier. Xavier!" 

Slowly I was being pulled away from him. I screamed and struggled but he only went further away from me.

Again, I fell. Until I stood in my father's office. He stood there, yelling and screaming at me. I could not hear what he said, it sounded like I was underwater. 

Every sound was dull. 

Then he suddenly collapsed. I wanted to go over to him, checking out if he was okay, but again I was being pulled away. 

No!

While falling down again, I cried for my father and brother. I drowned in sorrow. 

No! 

No!

"No!" My body jerked up when I felt someone shaking me. It was Evelyn. It was when I locked eyes with her, I acknowledged my state of being. I breathed fast and loud as if I had just run a marathon. Cold sweat was dripping down my face and back and my hands were clutched around the bedsheets.

It was only a nightmare. I thought.

Only a nightmare.

But the worried look Evelyn gave me brought back all the memories of last night. I could not help it and cried. She comforted me. Evelyn had put her arms around me and held me like a small child in the arms of their mother.

When I calmed down Evelyn suggested for I take a shower and have some breakfast afterward. Just when I exited the bathroom, I dashed right in, making my way to the toilet. I was just in time for my stomach to empty itself.

I felt a comforting hand on my back, which rubbed circles. Another hand I felt in my neck held my hair out of the way.

"You okay?" Evelyn asked when I was done.

I nodded my head, not in the mood to talk. We walked towards the dining room; I was barely there. Only on the Sundays when all those men stayed here. Apparently, we were having breakfast here instead of in the kitchen.

I sat down next to Edric, who was engaged in a conversation with his father. I remained silent throughout the whole time the Verlice family was busy eating breakfast. I was on the other hand not hungry. I felt numb. Nothing really mattered anymore for me.

"Ava dear, you haven't eaten a thing. I understand you don't feel well, but you can't be selfish you need to think of your baby as well." Miranda sassed.

I gave her an empty look, which said I did not care anymore. "Come on, eat." I heard Edric saying from my side.

Slowly I took a bit from the toast I had on my plate and kept on nibbling it.

After breakfast, everybody had to leave but was not left alone. No, Alex was put in place to watch over me. And he really did watch over me. He followed me like a hawk. It was very unsettling for me as I only wanted to be alone.

I went to the ballroom, which I had seen only once since my arrival here. It was the first day after the wedding when I explored the mansion. Here I could create as much distance as I wanted between me and Alex.

I sat down behind the piano, that way I was the furthers away from my hawk. I do not know how long I sat there until I heard Alex clearing his voice. "Do you know how to play?"

"Yes... Father wanted me to learn how to play an instrument." I said softly. Letting my fingertips caress the keys.

"Can you play something?" He asked but hesitantly.

"Right now?"

Alex nodded his head. I sighed. I did not know if I wanted to but did anyway. I let my fingers dance across the keys of the majestic instrument. Hearing the piano felt almost like coming home. It felt good.

The whole day I stayed next to the piano. Playing or not, I wanted to stay in the ballroom. It was around dinner time Alex reminded me to eat something. As I made my way into the kitchen to make dinner, I saw Linda, Debra, and Stella cooking behind the kitchen island.

"Hello Ava, dinner will be ready in five minutes." Debra smiled warmly at me. I nodded my head and sat down at the table. I saw it was set for only one person. A frown appeared on my face. "Alex, you are not joining me?"

Now it was Alex who was confused, he stammered. "Y-You want me too?"

"Yes, and for you as well," I said turning my body towards the three ladies in the kitchen. They all looked like they wanted to decline. "Please?"

I think the light sound of distress in my voice convinced them to join me. Soon the five of us were eating in silence. "When is Edric coming home?"

"Uh... late I think... And I think that will be normal from now on." Alex said while scratching his neck.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, normally he would be home for dinner, be at home in the weekends, but those lazy days are now gone with... with your father and brother out of the picture..."

"How do the deaths of my father and brother involve Edric coming home late?" I asked, a bit irritated as he brought up their names. I wanted to think about them in silence, not out in the open.

"S-Somebody has to take over..." Alex again held back with his words. I was getting frustrated at his behavior.

"Take over what?" I stressed.

"The business, the mafia." 

A/N: I hope you all enjoy the story thus so far. Please let me know if you do not understand certain things and what you think of the story. 

I also want to thank you all for the support for this book so far! 

Thanks for reading and stay safe!