Chapter 21

I stepped out of the shower. After three days I could walk more freely. The miscarriage and the bruises on my ribs made it difficult for me to walk. Even though I did not want to be pregnant at first, now I wanted it so badly. I still could not believe what happened a few days ago. My husband and his family were dead. I was no longer a married woman. I was no longer pregnant. It felt all surreal to me.

Nicholas had left me alone during the past days after his first visit. I did not mind it. I needed to be alone to process everything. The only person with who I had contact was Debbie. She was nice but too talkative. The moment she stepped in the room until she left, she talked the whole time through.

In the corner of my eye, I saw a glimpse of how I looked in the mirror. I looked horrible. The bruises were still very dark. I hated to see myself like this. I wended my head away from the mirror and started to dress. Today I felt like leaving the bedroom.

When I was done, I headed to the garden. I wanted to feel the sun on my skin, the wind through my hair. I had no idea where I had to go, but soon I found the living room and there was a door which led to the garden. I held the handle in my hands, wanting to push the door but was stopped by a bodyguard.

"You have no permission to go outside, miss." I sighed. Again, I was locked up in a mansion. I hated it. It was not like I was going to escape. Nicholas did not seem to be the guy to harm me and I had nowhere else to go.

"I won't escape, I promise." I again tried to push the door, but the bodyguard moved and blocked with his body the entryway to the garden.

"You can't go outside, I'm sorry but that is an order miss." His face did not look apologetic. What was it with bodyguards who acted like robots?

"Then ask your boss if I can have permission to go outside." The man opened his mouth but closed it again. He held one finger to his ear and with his other hand, he held his collar closer to his mouth. "Boss, Miss Angelo asked for permission to enter the garden... Copy that."

He adjusted his clothes and turned towards me. "Boss gave you permission, but only if I would follow you."

A scoff escaped from my mouth but agreed with the compromise. He held the door open for me and I left the house. Stepping outside, I already felt ten times better. Immediately I walked towards the flowers. They were absolutely beautiful.

A smile crept on my face. I missed being in a garden. The moment I got pregnant I could no longer continue my gardening, which was unfair. Many people said it was important to keep moving, to be active when being pregnant, but Edric did not want to hear any of it.

We were nearing autumn and some flowers had already bloomed, but the ones that remained still held their charm. I had to say that Nicholas had a better taste in gardening than Edric had. I walked further until I came across a bench under a construction made of wood and vines. It was absolutely gorgeous, as Evelyn would phrase it.

Evelyn. I missed her.

I sat down on the bench and put my legs carefully to my chest. I rested my arms on my knees and laid my head on them. I could not believe that I had lost everyone I knew. And I mean literally everyone.

A tear escaped my eye.

I quickly wiped it away. I had cried already enough, and crying would not get my loved ones back.

I was startled by the sound of nearing footsteps. I looked up and saw Nicholas. He made his way over to me, nodded to the bodyguard, and sat down next to me. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I muttered. I was not in the mood to talk.

"Really? Your ribs don't bother you anymore?" He asked again.

"I said, I'm fine." A sigh of irritation left my lips.

Nicholas chuckled. "You know, I think that everyone forgets that you are technically still a teenager. In my teen years, I hated when my parents tried to talk to me and ask how I was. I wanted to be left alone and reacted just like you did." He laughed at reliving the memory in his mind.

"Well in my teen years I wanted to talk to others but wasn't allowed to. I was always alone, and I hated it." I snapped back. Sometimes people did not know how privileged they were. I had learned this while I was married to Edric. Being married to him and getting to know Evelyn had taught me a lot about people and the world outside of my old father's mansion. The more I learned about it, the more I wanted it. Like going to high school. It was already a big dream for me when I was twelve years old, but now that I missed that opportunity and knowing more about it, made me want it even more.

An awkward silence fell between us. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. I had no idea who this man was, I could have offended him, and God knows what he will do next.

"I'm sorry. I had forgotten about that. It was indeed wrong of your father to keep you away from having a normal childhood."

Shocked I looked at him. Nobody had openly said they were against my father's doings. They always agreed with him. "You really think so?"

"Yes. Do I understand why he did it? Yes. Was it the right decision? No. I can not even imagine how you must have felt during that time."

I looked down. "Like a caged bird."

Thanks for reading and stay safe!