Blood on Stones - 26 Yrs BTA

VOTE ON NEXT CHRONICLE BELOW!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Another one?" Talon growled in anger, looking down at the corpse before him.

"Yes Elder. Killed the same way as the others," came the reply.

A rumble rocked the drake, his tail twitching in frustration. The body that lay in front of him was a young dragoness, a promising young dragon that had recently joined his personal guard. Her eyes were wide open, her mouth slight agape. Blood had been spilt from her throat, originating from what looked like a stab wound in her hazel brown scales. She had been found that morning by several human servants. The fourth death such as this.

"Damnit," Talon snarled, turning away, "Tell me someone saw something this time Jider."

"No elder," Jider replied.

"And still no word back from the mind dragons?"

Jider shook his head.

"Damnit," repeated Talon.

Their continued ignorance of his pleas infuriated him. His dragons were dying, murdered by some unknown aggressor, and they refused to send someone who could likely figure it out by the end of the day. At the very least they would be able to keep any aggressor at bay, as they would be afraid of giving themselves away.

"That fire dragon is still here," said Jider hesitantly.

"He is, is he?" Talon growled, "He is probably the one that is doing this."

"We both know that is not true."

"I will not go to a fire dragon for help, Jider."

"With all due respect, elder, I do not think we have another choice."

"Another choice? He is a fire dragon! A villain of a species. You were not alive during the ashen wars Jider. You do not know what they did."

"Neither was he, elder. You can't judge a dragon on what his ancestors did over four hundred years ago. And you know his reputation. You know he can help us."

Talon turned his eyes upon his subordinate, remaining silent. Jider looked back at him, not at all intimidated. There was certainly a strength to this young dragon that Talon often admired until it was directed back at him. A sigh escaped the drake as he gave in, knowing his younger friend was correct.

"Bring him in."

Jider grinned at his reluctance, "It won't hurt to have another expert on the matter elder."

Talon snorted as the younger telekinetic drake quickly exited the courtyard of the murder scene, leaving his leader to mull over what was before him. Several humans were within the courtyard, tending to rows of green trees and plants neatly arranged next to high sandstone walls decorated with carvings of dragons. Talon had never understood the other race's fascination with living in caves, instead having chosen to build his city, with the help of many humans, out of sandstone. Hundreds of buildings, each of a size accommodating to most dragons. It allowed the city to be much more dynamic than many of the other draconic cities.

It wasn't long before Jider returned, tailed by a fire dragon. Talon regarded the newcomer with suspicion. It wasn't often another species of dragon came to his city, so the bright ruby scales stood out amongst the soft browns of limestone and greens of the several trees and plants within the courtyard. At first glance, Talon guessed the fire drake was in his third or fourth decade, but he had seen his fair share of hardship. Several old scars ran across his snout and chest. His body was hardy and strong, his wings held loosely by his side as his eyes scanned the surroundings with close observation.