A Lost Way - 43Yrs BTA

THANK YOU TO TheDialect  FOR SUGGESTING THIS STORY. I TOOK SOME LIBERTIES WITH THE STORY, BUT I HOPE YOU ENJOY XD. IF ANY OF YOU HAVE IDEAS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE, SUGGEST THEM IN THE 'YOUR IDEAS' SECTION OF THE BOOK.

VOTE FOR THE NEXT STORY BELOW!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A soft breeze caused the marshy groves of trees to sway like waves in an ocean. Overcast clouds blanketed the sky, promising rain. Skimming across the top of the leaves was a single dragon with scales matching the damp green of the forest below. Golden yellow scales were splashed around the underside of his legs, mixing oddly with the darker green of his scales. Clutched in his claws was a fabric canvas, folded around some large object that forced the drake to beat his wings with greater effort than usual. Despite this his mouth turned in a smile, dodging through the wind gusts with great eagerness as his scorpion-tipped tail guided his movements.

He came to a small hill, where he dropped through a small gap within the overgrowth, dropping down to a raised area of dry ground. He hovered for a moment, gently placing his package on the ground, before landing next to it with a huff. Ahead of him was a darkened entrance of a small cave, with teeth like stalactites reaching down from the roof.

"Willow!" he called into the cave, "I'm back!"

A dragon poked her head out from the cave, adorned with the same dark green scales, though instead of splashed yellow around her legs, she had red. Her eyes lit up and she gave a relieved smile.

"Spyral! You took your sweet time. I was getting worried," she trotted out from the cave, glancing at the package with a frown, "I thought you said you were getting something to... eat. Oh... what is that smell?"

Spyral inhaled deeply, "Amazing, isn't it? I think it's some sort of honey mixed with some strange herbs. I don't know. The human who made it said some really complicated names that I couldn't be bothered remembering."

The dragoness sat down on her haunches, looking at the package intrigued, "So it's honey?"

"Not quite," Spyral smirked, using the tip of his tail to unwrap the package, revealing a large well-cooked pig, dripping sweet liquid and covered in spots of green herbs.

Willow's stomach audibly growled at the sight, and Spyral let out a laugh. She glared at him, "Hey, I've been waiting here for hours."

He paced over to her, giving her a small nuzzle, "I know. But I wanted to celebrate you know, get us something special."

She purred softly, "And what is the cause for this celebration?"

"Well, as of today, we have been mates for exactly a year," he responded, "I think that deserves some recognition... especially because of how we met."

"Aah," she rumbled, pushing her snout up under his chin, "It's been a year already?"

"Yes."

"Hmm... and you said it would only end in our death."

"Well... don't talk too soon. They could still find us."

"Out here, in the middle of nowhere? Good luck to them," she sat back, before looking at the roast pig again, "Now, enough of this talk. I'm hungry!"

"Me too," grinned the drake, "But hold on a moment, before you dive in."

Willow had been leaning forward to bite into the juicy-looking morsel. She stopped, tilting her head toward him in a question.