Let's Dance (Bridgerton x black!reader)

requested by MelisaCharles 

This is my first time writing for a specific reader. I tried to stick to the request as best I could so I hope you enjoy it, and apologies if it's not quite what you wanted. have a lovely day! <3

 Breakfast had been served that morning, and even the help could feel the tense atmosphere. Your parents sat on either end of the table and you sat between your two children, helping them eat their breakfast without spilling it down the front of their night gowns. Teyana sat to your right happily nibbling on a slice of buttered toast while you fed Ayesha, to your left, a spoonful of yoghurt, or at least tried to.

"Open up sweetheart," you told her nicely. She kept her lips tightly shut and moved her head away from the spoon you were holding out. Your mother watched upon the situation with a spiteful eye.

"Is there a reason for your hateful attention mama?" you breathed out.

"You never behaved that way as a child. Maybe it is because your father did not abandon us." She spat. You looked at her appalled. You sat the spoon you were holding down, Ayesha smiled to herself. You wiped your hands on the front of your night dress as you stood from your chair.

"Girls, go to your rooms and pick out which dress you would like to wear today." You sent them on their way, the warm smile on your face disappearing as their giggles and the soft patter of their little footsteps faded. You turned back to the table; a scowl evident.

"Mama, I do not appreciate the way you speak about my husband, you know very well he was a fine fellow, who died fighting for this country. I would greatly appreciate it, if you could keep your comments to yourself whilst our children are present."

"How dare you speak to me in such a manner, you will show me some respect when you are under my roof. Perhaps the paper was right, it is a shame a body so beautiful and a face so perfect is wasted on you."

"Dear, do not be so cruel," your father spoke awkwardly from the other end of the table. Your mother looked at him through narrowed eyes and he went back to eating his breakfast quietly, shooting you a sad smile as he did.

"I will not tolerate being told what to do in my own house. Do you understand me Y/N?"

You looked at her, anger settling in your chest.

"Yes, mama."

"Good. Now go get dressed. And make sure you look presentable, I cannot have Whistledown writing about how my daughter cannot dress herself to impress company."

You scoffed at her. You bid your father goodbye and made your leave from the room. Your mother hadn't always been so uptight, but ever since you all moved into town and Lady Whistledown found out you had two little girls but no husband around, assuming he had fled, she had not been civil with you. You and your husband had been very happy, and your parents had loved him, but he enlisted in the war. And after a few months you received a visit from his commanding officer informing you of his passing. You had cried harder than you had ever cried that night, your mother had been the one to comfort you. She held you against her, cradling your head as she smoothed down your tight curled locks which framed your face. You had cried yourself to sleep in her embrace and she had laid you down gently onto your silk pillows, placing a soft kiss onto your forehead. You always tried to remember that night nowadays, to remind yourself that she wasn't always so cruel.

After that night you had thrown yourself into the company of others. You had made many friends, whom all knew of your heartbreak, and always spent the duration of every ball you attended dancing with them. It did not matter which song was playing or which dance was being danced, you knew them all and happily obliged anybody who requested you join them. Dancing had easily become your new safe haven, when you were sad at home you would simply ask one of the staff to play the pianoforte if they could and you would dance with your daughters as they copied your footsteps as best as they could. But this changed when you moved. You focussed all of your attention on your daughters and made sure they were happy, disregarding your own happiness as you withdrew from the things you once loved.