36: GREYSON-Getting The Girl

Football season just finished, but that hasn't stopped me from working out incessantly. I actually don't think I've ever been so bulky, taking out all my frustration and heartache on the gym equipment.

"Did you wish her luck on her last final today? I think she said it was physiology," Hunter says as he spots me for my three hundred eighty-pound bench press.

Grunting, I finish my set of reps and place the bar back on the rack. "Of course." I flash him a quick glare before moving to the squat rack where I don't need a spot.

I'm glad her relationship with the guys hasn't changed since the breakup. She stuck to her word. She's been a good friend to me as well, I just haven't allowed myself to be around her for more than a few minutes at a time. I get scared that I'll give in to the little voice in my head screaming, Kiss her! Just kiss her and hold her and love her forever!

"And did you figure out what you're going to do over winter break?"

"Nah, I'm still undecided." I try to control my breathing and keep my posture straight for my squats. "Parker offered to let me stay at his place with Katherine, but no offense to him, he's a fucking snooze fest."

"You wouldn't stay at your dad's, obviously. You're not considering staying in the Playboy Brownstone?" he asks while somehow maintaining focus on his barbel reps. He's also bulked up a ton, and I assume it's because of the same girl who wiggled her way into my heart. "Syn's probably staying here, right? She doesn't really have a family to go home to."

"I know that," I growl.

He obviously wants to talk it out and relate to each other over the fact that Syn has unintentionally rejected both of us. I know he's just trying to be there for me and his heart is in the right place, but everyone and everything is pissing me off nowadays.

"A few months ago she told me she was planning on getting a job, try to earn some spending money before next semester," I tell him. "Anyway, what are you gonna do?"

"I'm going home, I miss my mom." He pauses and smiles. "And my neighbors. I think it'll be good for me to get out of Mass for a bit."

"Sounds great, man. Give your mom a kiss for me." I drop my weights and go over to clap his shoulder. "Maybe I'll meet you in New York City for New Year's Eve."

"For sure," he grins, and before we can continue our conversation, my phone rings.

"Sorry," I say before reaching into my bag and pressing accept on the selfie Brooklyn set as his contact. "Hey man."

"Decker, I just ran into Syn."

"Okay... Did something happen? Is she okay?"

Against my will, my heart begins to race and my protective instinct over her kicks into gear.

"I don't know, Deck. She looked pretty shaken up. Said something about this Detroit number calling, and the school making contact with her about it. She was in a rush so I didn't catch everything she said, but she's on her way home right now."

"Home? As in Detroit?"

"Yeah. I think there was something with a lawyer? Someone paid for her to hop on the first flight available after her final exam. It wasn't my place to stop her, but I thought I should let you know."

Hunter has dropped his weights and looks ready to tear down the city for Syn's honor, and he hasn't even heard the full conversation.

"Thanks Bernardeau."

Before I could even hang up, Hunt had his bag over his shoulder and my car keys in his hand.

We drove to Boston Logan in silence, and I was so fucking thankful for him I could have cried. He doesn't know what happened to Syn in Michigan or what was even said on the phone, but he jumped at the opportunity to help me help her, which goes to show what a great friend he is to the both of us.