Epilogue: GREYSON-Three Years Later

Syn's praise about my game tonight was muffled by the cookie in her mouth, and I was too nervous to pick up what she was saying anyways. So I just did it mid-sentence, dropped to a knee in front of our bench, and held out my mother's ring.

She quits chewing and her eyes go wide. "Grey."

"Syn." I'm so anxious my balls are sweating.

"What are you doing," she asks.

"Asking you to marry me," I deadpan.

"Oh," she muses, casual. "I didn't know you were into me like that."

I scowl at her, and she smiles.

"Can you stop being a pain in my ass for five minutes while I say my speech?"

She thinks about it, then decides, "I don't think so."

Exasperated, I grab her cold little hand and wrap it in mine. "In that case, be my pain in the ass for the rest of my life. Piss me off, make me laugh, kiss me slow, have my babies, support me at my games, keep my heart warm, be my best friend... forever." I pause to make sure her little smile isn't because she's laughing at me. Nope. All sunshine and sweetness. "I know you've never been with anyone else and it's greedy of me to ask you to only be mine, but no one's ever accused me of being a selfless or giving guy. And you, Bear, I am not willing to let go of." On my knee I am at eye-level with her, but she's got all this power over me with her gentle eyes and excited grin, and I just want to get this right. I know I'll have to bargain though. "Be mine, Syn. Make me yours. I'll never hold you back. I've had your back since day one, baby, and I'll have it for the rest of my life." I feel her shaking and look down, frowning when I realize it's me shaking and she's trying to steady me with her two hands, playing with my fingers the way I love. "Marry me, Syn. And say yes before my balls invert please."

I was ranked number one rookie last year, having one of the highest tackle rates for a QB, and somehow Syn has managed to haul herself off the bench and on top of me, knocking me to the concrete beside the Charles River.

"Okay," she grins, easily making me the happiest man on earth, dropping her sweet lips on mine.

Just like our first kiss, I can't close my eyes. Can't look away. Can't blink because I'm still afraid she's a dream I'll wake up from.

But unlike the first kiss, I wrap my hand in her hair and force her lips so hard into mine there's not a single disconnect between me and her.

Instead of allowing her to jump away, I catch her left wrist and shove my mom's ring onto the finger of the only woman in the world worth wearing it.

Synamie freaking Blake.

The End

Author's Note:

If you made it this far, I might be a little in love with you. Thank you for reading the first book I put out there! I'd love to hear all your thoughts, good and bad, so please reach out!

Hunter Greaves is next in line. He's got a demented, twisted, beautiful story to tell. He might share part of his soul with Syn, but he's got someone who is willing to sell theirs to the devil to take away even a fraction of his anguish. And he's already cut his out and sacrificed his for hers. They just don't know it yet.