Lay Me Down Chapter 21

VOTE/COMMENT/LIKE/TWEET

ENJOY

"So, what are our plans for tonight?" Carter asked from behind me as he tightened his hold on my waist. I continued to walk to his car dragging him behind me.

"Whatever you want to do," I told him as we reached the car. He turned me around and pressed my back against the car.

"You should spend the night." 

"What's up with you always wanting me to spend the night?" 

"I like being near you." 

 A smile lit up my face. "Awwwwwww," I sang. 

He laughed. "Whatever. C'mon, let's go get some clothes from your house. I don't know why you don't just keep some at my house anyways, you are always over there," he muttered the last bit. I ignored him and got in the car on the passenger's side.

The ride to my place was quick and was filled with Carter's chatter just about nothing. He talked way too much and I just basically went along with what he was saying sometimes laughing to myself. 

He parked in the driveway. "You want me to come in with you?"  

"No, I think I can handle it," I told him before getting out of the car. I shut the door behind me and went into the house and up to my room. I grabbed my duffel that resided in my closet and began to fill it with clothes and other necessities.

Once I was finished, I grabbed the duffel and went downstairs but not before checking up on my mom. I walked to her room and slowly creaked the door open while knocking. What I saw was shocking.

"What are you doing?" I yelled running up to Keith and pushing him away from her as he was about to stick a needle in her arm. "Mom! Why would you let him do that? You're sick!" 

I heard Keith chuckle behind me and I turned to look at him. I saw nothing funny so why was he laughing? You can't give illegal drugs to a person that is sick with cancer.

"Lizzie, go away," she stated. Was she freaking crazy? "Come on Keith." She held out her arm and motioned for him to continue from where he left off.

Why would she do this if she was sick?  I thought to myself. Wouldn't it only make her sicker? Then it clicked in and it was like a dagger in my chest.

"Where's the money?" I asked frantically but both of them ignored me. "Where's the fucking money?" I asked again as anger began to take over.

"Where do you think it is?" my mom said.

"Show it to me," I demanded.

"There's nothing to show," Keith muttered. I felt like the world came crashing down on me. Literally. 

How could I have been so stupid? I felt sick to my stomach knowing that I was so foolish to believe her. The fake tears and the plastic apologetic words had betrayed me.