Lay Me Down Chapter 33

VOTE.COMMENT.LIKE.TWEET

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lizzie’s POV

I woke up to one of those mornings. You know, the mornings when you feel like you have been asleep forever but you are still dead tired. It probably wasn’t even morning. It was more like afternoon. My eyelids felt so heavy and I couldn’t even see clearly. My body was stiff and immobile. I could feel Carter’s strong embrace around me and last night suddenly flooded into my mind. God! How embarrassing, I thought. I can’t believe that I let Carter see me that way. I mean, I was pathetic!  I had lashed out at him for no complete reason. I carefully shifted my body to become more comfortable.

“Am I suffocating you?” Carter asked as he loosened his grip.

“I’m fine,” I said in a hoarse voice. I can’t believe I asked him to stay with me. He shouldn’t have to sit here and babysit a grown ass woman. “I’m sorry Carter,” I whispered.

“For what? If anything I should be sorry,” he stated. “I never should have left you. I should have stayed, I shouldn’t have listened to you when you told me to go. This is all my fault. It could have been prevented.”

“No, none of this is your fault. Don’t put that on you. I didn’t mean anything I said last night. I was just . . . I d— It wasn’t your fault Carter.”  I was really saying the truth. This wasn’t Carter’s fault and I didn’t blame him one bit. I made a choice to do the drugs. It was a dumb choice and I should have known better after seeing my mom and how she would do anything for the drugs. I didn’t want to be that person. I didn’t want to hurt the people I cared about for moments of pleasure. I don’t even know why I started. Trent just offered it to me at one point a long time ago and I took him up on his offer and I swiftly became pulled in.

“Lizzie I shoul—“

“Carter! Stop. It’s not your fault,” I said as I turned over to face him. He gazed into my eyes a moment and then he looked away.

“I don’t want you having anything to do with that life including that guy,” he told me. “We can go shopping for some new clothes for you.” 

“I’m not going to let you waste your money on me.”  

“I’m not wasting anything when it’s being done for you.” 

“Fine,” I groaned. 

He smiled. “Come on, let’s get ready to go.”  

“Go where?”  

“Shopping,” he said in a duh tone.

“Oh,” I mumbled as he got out of the bed and exited the room.

I entered the department store with Carter in tow beside me. I really wasn’t hyped on the fact that we were going shopping and that he was buying everything.