4: Nomen est omen

Rege sat in the carriage with a golden sword. His expression of impatience had been replaced by keen interest.

He didn't like stupid opponents. If the Earl of Flowervale relied on being the king's new favorite when he entered Grande, rashly offended a person who shouldn't be offended, and fell into a scheme that bankrupted himself and his family, that would be too boring.

To be capable of turning a barren place like Desolette into a prosperous city covered with flowers and gems, the legendary Earl of Flowervale must be a formidable figure with a few tricks up his sleeve.

Duncan, who hadn't taken that into consideration, was the real idiot. The trap he'd designed was ridiculously crude.

Thinking of this, Rege glanced at the person next to him, and his slightly curved lips were full of mockery.

Duncan hadn't noticed Rege's change in mood at all. Holding a pocket watch in his hand, he intently watched the movement of the second and minute hands. Unwittingly, three hours had already passed, and his patience was about to run out.

"Damn it! What is the Earl of Flowervale thinking? He should either step back obediently or step forward to make trouble. What does it mean to stay still?" Lord Duncan cursed in a murmur.

At the same moment, Jian Qiao's manservant was also asking a question. "Master, why have you stopped here and not moved? It's getting dark. We have to enter the city quickly or we'll meet wolves."

Jian Qiao was leaning back on the cushioned chair, closing his eyes and resting. The passing of time, the weakening of daylight, and the howling of wolves in the distance couldn't disturb his peace.

"We came from afar with sufficient food, drink, and blankets. We can afford to wait no matter how long. But they're different. They came on the spur of the moment, and they didn't bring anything to spend the night. When it grows late, when cold, hunger, and thirst befall them all at once, they'll naturally come to talk to us. That's when we'll discover what kind of trick Lord Duncan is playing."

Jian Qiao explained unhurriedly with his eyes closed.

In fact, he could probably guess what Lord Duncan's backing was. A third-rate aristocrat with no power or influence, yet he got along in Grande's business community like a fish in water. He must have a cooperative relationship with a high-ranking member of the Grande family.

It was a pity the city of Desolette was located in the most remote region of Gloria, and the transportation and information flow of this era were very inadequate. Jian Qiao, who had just expanded his family business, had no spare time to inquire about the secrets of the whole aristocratic circle.

He didn't know the background of this Lord Duncan or the exact person standing behind him. But in any case, it was always good to be cautious. The more unclear the situation, the more calm you have to be.

After this moment of reflection, the din of bells and drums crossed the heavy mountain range, passing through the thick fog. It had come from the distant city, an announcement that night was approaching.

The wolves began to howl louder when they heard the bells.

Jian Qiao opened his eyes and waved his hand. "Let the chef prepare dinner."

"Right here?" The two servants hesitated.

A misty drizzle was falling from the sky, drenching the forested mountains and fields, and saturating the road. The ground was covered with heavy mud. It was not an ideal place to enjoy food.

"Right here." Jian Qiao said calmly, "It's getting dark. Let the distinguished guests across the way smell the aroma of the food and the fragrance of the wine, and they'll come to terms more quickly. They'll understand that I can afford to wait, but they can't."