38: Retribution comes

Jian Qiao ran back to the hotel in a panic, and in a panic he turned around and around the room, muttering, "How terrible, how terrible, everything's gone terribly wrong!"

Without thinking about it he sharply ordered, "Pack up our things, we're leaving at once!"

The two manservants were bewildered but they began to pack the luggage.

At the same time, from outside the balcony there came the sound of a galloping stallion. The hoofbeats were swift and urgent, as if the horse was going to shatter the stone cobbles of the street.

Jian Qiao didn't need to run to the window to know Rege had chased him.

He quickly shut the door of the room and pressed his back against it.

A few short moments later, heavy footsteps echoed in the corridor outside, followed by a ragged gasp. This ferocious panting was the sound that only a seriously wounded beast could make.

"Jian Qiao, come out," Rege called in a low voice.

Jian Qiao pressed against the door panel more anxiously, not daring to say a word.

The two servants also stopped packing the bags. They looked at the door with apprehension.

"Do I disgust you that much, eh, Jian Qiao? Does kissing me make you vomit?" Rege asked hoarsely. If one listened carefully, there was even a trace of a choking sob in his voice.

He had never been so sad!

Jian Qiao closed his eyes and shook his head gently.

No, it's not disgust. I'm just... just afraid of the taste of blood.

He didn't say these words aloud. He didn't dare to communicate with the current Rege.

Rege, who received no response after waiting a long time, let out a miserable laugh. In a very depressed voice he said, "Jian Qiao, give me an answer! Either reject me completely and tell me you can never fall in love with me, or promise me we'll try to go forward together. Jian Qiao, open the door and let me see you. Let's talk about everything. Jian Qiao! Don't leave without saying a word, don't say we'll never meet again! Give me a clear answer, Jian Qiao!"

By the end, he was almost begging.

Jian Qiao was still shaking his head.

The corners of his reddened eyes were glittering with tears.

He couldn't do it. He couldn't give a definite answer. He couldn't stab Rege's heart with the sharp blade of his words, leaving him in pain and despair; nor could he overcome his fear and step into an abyss he'd vowed to never enter.

Love is an abyss! Love is doomed to disappear! But friendship endures, friendship can last forever. So why destroy their friendship?

This was the only friend he'd ever had!

Jian Qiao's eyes were rimmed with red, his nose was also red, and he seemed on the verge of crying.

Rege waited a few more moments, but the room was still silent.

The silence burned him more than the blaze inside his heart.

"You come out! Let's talk face to face!" He slammed his fist against the door.

The tremendous force made Jian Qiao, who was clinging to the door panel, jerk forward.

The two servants recovered from their consternation and hurried to help their master hold the door. A rampaging lion wasn't something they could handle. If Rege smashed the door and broke in, there was no telling what would happen tonight.