21: You are my star

Jian Qiao was stunned when he heard Rege's words, so close to a promise. He never imagined the other party would be so kind.

If Rege stayed in Grande, it would undeniably bring him a great sense of security. So a bright light shone from his dark eyes, and the source of this light was the handsome, unparalleled Rege.

Now that the carriage door was no longer obstructed, it slowly closed.

Jian Qiao hurriedly stretched out his arm to hold open the door. He leaned down and stared directly at Rege, who stood before the carriage. "I also want to correct a mistaken impression. My lord, you aren't at all overbearing or rude. On the contrary, you're too friendly and endearing, it's my luck to know you."

Rege raised his eyebrows and asked in a more aggressive tone, "Overbearing? Rude? My lord Earl, is that what you secretly thought? Fine, I'm leaving Grande tomorrow. Good luck!" After speaking, he turned away to leave.

Once his back was to Jian Qiao, a rather smug grin appeared on his face.

Jian Qiao raised his voice and shouted, "Are you kidding me? You can't take back your words, you're the greatest knight in Tortus!"

He, who'd always kept a certain distance from everyone, had never said such playful words before. There was no doubt Rege had a unique weight in his heart.

Rege stopped his forward progress and licked his sharp tiger teeth again. He turned his head and said with some ill grace, "The greatest knight can't resist your sugary words. Yes, I'm kidding, are you happy?"

Yes, Jian Qiao was happy. He'd long ago forgotten what it was to smile, but at that moment his eyes were brighter than the stars.

Rege gazed at the man wearing such a face, pointed at his eyes and said, "It's amazing. You actually have stars in your eyes."

Jian Qiao spoke without a second's thought, "The star is you."

Rege: "..."

Rege turned his head, groaning inwardly.

Damn it! If a compliment contest were held in Tortus, the gentleman Earl was guaranteed to win the championship. His brain barely needed to think, he just opened his mouth and honey-laden words rolled off his tongue.

Rege was completely defeated. He tsked and then emphasized again, "You can do what you need with peace of mind. I'll stay in Grande and watch over you. All right, let's go."

After speaking, he waved his hand and walked towards his carriage. The brilliant lights reflected his upright posture and lengthened his silhouette.

And this silhouette was going farther and farther away, getting fainter and fainter.

Jian Qiao wasn't sure why, but he couldn't bear to part so quickly. He liked spending time with Rege, sitting side by side on a sofa, drinking a few glasses of wine at leisure, chatting about nothing. His heart felt constant anxiety, but such a lazy atmosphere could make him feel at peace.

Jian Qiao dreaded the night. Sleep would only lead him into one desperate dream after another.

In those dreams he was like a mayfly, doomed to passively follow a swirling rush of darkness, until he was swallowed by a monstrous fish with gnashing teeth. Aside from this ending, he never dreamed of anything good.

Every morning he woke up covered in sweat, and the fear that lingered in his heart made it impossible for him to recover for a long time. So he especially cherished the safety and peace of this moment.

He shouted at Rege's back, "Have you ever exercised the Right of the First Night?"

This was the favorite privilege of every lord. When a young couple in his territory were ready to marry, the lord had the right to take the bride's first night.