29: Your scent

Cassia was angry at Rege. But she couldn't show her emotions openly, because she was famous for being haughty, cold, aloof, and refined.

She didn't care about money at all, she turned a blind eye to the men who frantically pursued her, she endured any situation with unhurried calm and grace.

So she nodded lightly at Jian Qiao and said in a low voice, "I regret that I can't have it. I presumed too much just now."

"Not at all, we didn't explain it clearly," Jian Qiao responded with some lukewarm words, then returned the necklace to a black velvet box and locked it inside the display case.

Cassia's eyes were still glued to the necklace, as fresh and lovely as a daisy, yet radiant as the first rays of the morning sun. As the necklace lay in the case, the black velvet contrasted even more strongly with its gorgeous sparkling light. Its beauty could almost snatch a person's soul.

For a moment, Cassia wanted to smash open the glass of the display case, snatch the necklace, rush through the door and escape.

But she successfully resisted the impulse. She took a deep breath and with difficulty averted her eyes.

It doesn't matter, even if I can't have that necklace there are other valuables waiting for me. Every item in this store is a fine piece of jewelry. It shouldn't be hard to find something else worthwhile. Come on, come on, let's find the second most expensive treasure.

Cassia muttered to herself as she wandered from counter to counter, her eyes carelessly scanning all the jewels.

She twisted her slender hips and meandered step by step, lightly sliding her white index finger along the glass counter.

She looked graceful and breezy, as if she were strolling through her own garden picking roses by hand, with a languid expression that wasn't at all distracted by the ostentatious glittering jewels before her.

Just as the stories said, she was indeed a rare woman.

The male customers in the shop were secretly watching Cassia with interest, and their eyes glowed with appreciation.

But Jian Qiao's brow was slightly knitted. He looked worried.

This woman was an excellent actress. She knew how to shape her own image. Most people who encountered her would be deceived.

Jian Qiao knew her true colors, but as a gentleman he wouldn't say a word against her in public. Of all the men she swindled, which one wasn't willing? Which one didn't enjoy it?

If he exposed Cassia's machinations, those people wouldn't suddenly come to their senses. They'd just come after him in a steady stream of trouble.

Jian Qiao, who was extremely afraid of trouble, decided to keep his mouth shut. It was enough if he protected Rege.

So, when Cassia's fingertip pointed at a diamond brooch and she softly called out, "Ray, come and help me—"

Jian Qiao spoke at the same time to interrupt her. "Ray, I have something for you. Come with me."

His voice wasn't as clear and melodious as Cassia's, nor as high-pitched and penetrating, but in Rege's ears it sounded like the bell of a tower, making his heart tremble.

This was the first time the gentleman Earl had called him by a nickname.

"Certainly, Jian." Rege immediately followed Jian Qiao, and the corners of his mouth lifted in a sunny smile.

Jian Qiao noticed the change in address between them. As he looked back at Rege a warm light radiated from his eyes.

Rege sensed his pleasure, so he naturally took two quick steps forward, put his arm around the other man's shoulder, and called out in his ear, "My dearest Jian, what do you want to show me?"