28: Three days without seeing you

"I never sell fakes. Your proposal is offensive and insulting, and I refuse to cooperate with a person like you," Jian Qiao said coldly.

"What?" The man was baffled. He clearly hadn't expected anyone to resist the temptation of making hundreds or even thousands of gold coins a day.

That was money streaming in like flowing water!

"I never sell counterfeits, please get out!" Jian Qiao repeated and pointed to the door.

His two manservants sensed their master was truly angry, so they immediately stepped forward and glared fiercely at the man. Their tall bodies and sturdy physiques loomed over him.

"Fine, fine, I'll leave right now. But I think I should tell you, you're going to regret it! While other shops are earning more than they can spend in a lifetime, your place will be a nest for spiders and mice! Sooner or later you'll end up in the gutter, you stupid bastard!"

The man cursed as he left.

"Follow him." Jian Qiao spoke to an ordinary-looking, short-statured clerk.

The clerk immediately took off his perfumed coat, which looked too clean and tidy, and disappeared into the crowd.

That evening, he returned to the shop to deliver his news. "My lord, Lord Duncan agreed to cooperate with him. They're currently drinking in a tavern in the west of the city, looking quite pleased."

"Well done." Jian Qiao put a few silver coins on the counter. In a soft voice he said, "Go back, your family must have dinner ready by now. They're probably waiting for you by a warm fireplace."

"Thank you, my lord! God bless you, you're the kindest of masters!" The clerk hurriedly took away the silver coins and left with a thousand thanks.

The money was enough to buy clothes and sundries for his younger brother and sister, and it would keep the family eating beef and white bread for a month. They'd be crazy with joy!

Watching the shop clerk leave happily, Jian Qiao shook his head and let out a sigh.

To experience such happiness for a few silver coins, it was an ability he would never possess....

---

Three days later, Rege stood at the door of a tavern and looked around.

Prince Andrew waved and shouted, "God, you finally showed up! I heard you're already tired of playing with Jian Qiao and got together with that little monster?"

In the past few days Rege had spent all his time with the female dwarf. They never set foot outside the ducal palace, which caused rumors to spread outside.

Rege: "... Shit! Who said that? I'll chop him up!" He strode into the tavern with a face full of fury.

"Forget about that little monster, hurry over to the hotel where Cassia is staying. Join our game and ask her out. All of us tried, but we couldn't make her lips smile even a little bit, so we failed. Just now we opened a bet on whether you'll succeed."

One nobleman pointed to the pile of gold coins on the table and said enthusiastically, "Go, go, go, we'll wait to see the final result! I bet you'll lose!"

"I bet you'll lose too!"

"Cassia is by far the hardest woman in Tortus to please. Her heart is harder than a rock, so I also bet you're going to lose!"

There was a chorus of laughter and jokes.

"Come on, come on, place a bet on yourself." Prince Andrew pointed to the betting board on the table.