24: Dark creatures

Rege noticed Jian Qiao's disquiet immediately.

He leaned into the ear of the gentleman Earl and asked in a low voice, "What's wrong with you? Feeling unwell?"

He'd grown up in this era. He simply couldn't understand the rejection in Jian Qiao's heart. Aside from the whip, driving these dwarfs directly onto red hot coals, making them jump and scream and howl, could also be considered lively entertainment.

And Rege had seen this kind of performance too many times. He'd never felt there was anything wrong with it.

In the eyes of these people, the strange-looking dwarf was a lower form of life than livestock, and no one would show excess sympathy for an animal.

Jian Qiao understood how Rege had been influenced by the limitations of the times. If he too had been born and raised among the nobility of this era, his thinking might not be any more enlightened. So he suppressed his discomfort, shook his head, and said, "No, it's nothing. I just had a few drinks. My chest is a little tight."

He gently stroked his chest.

"What a rotten body you have!" Rege's face was full of disgust, but he'd already beckoned the attendant. "Send over a glass of ice water with a little lemon juice."

A glass of ice water was immediately placed in Jian Qiao's hand. The coldness of the ice, the tartness of the juice, and the pungency of the peel soon made Jian Qiao's dizzy head feel a little better.

When it came to showing consideration for people, Rege was really experienced.

Jian Qiao took a small sip of the ice water and sighed. "I finally understand why those women like you. If I were a woman I'd like you too."

Rege, who was watching him with a concerned gaze, wasn't sure why, but his heart suddenly lurched. Those last words were like a heavy mallet knocking him dizzy.

His eyes darkened for a moment. Pretending he hadn't heard clearly, he asked, "What did you just say?"

Jian Qiao paused for a moment then suddenly changed his mind. "No, being a woman doesn't matter, I'd like you anyway. In this world you're my favorite person."

The statement was completely free of exaggeration. It had only been five years since he came to this world, and Jian Qiao, who was out of step with everyone, had found only a single like-minded friend. If he didn't like Rege, who else could he like?

Rege: "..."

Shit! He really was going to explode into foul language! What exactly was the gentleman Earl's little mouth made of? How could it be so sweet? He probably drank honey water every day, right? And it was marigold honey! One flower after another, as bright as the sun, just like every word he uttered!

Rege's crazy heart could no longer be suppressed. But just at that moment, the female dwarf who'd reached the center of the dance floor told a very funny joke, which caused the guests in the hall to laugh.

Rege took advantage of this to reveal a grin. The corners of his eyes and his eyebrows were full of happiness and satisfaction like never before, just like a blooming marigold.

Jian Qiao also smiled. The corners of his lips rose, his eyes curved, his smile was subtle but also cheerful. He watched the female dwarf in the middle of the floor and applauded gently.

Rege looked at him in surprise, then whispered, "You, you smiled? You can do that?"

Prince Andrew was scanning the room, observing who was amused and who was not.

Jian Qiao kept the smile on his face and whispered, "I'm a human being too, of course I can smile."

Rege carefully observed this smiling face, but kept thinking something wasn't right. The gentleman Earl's smile was really very beautiful. Slightly curved eyes like a lovely crescent moon, upturned lips that pulled the muscles of the cheeks, revealing two small pear-shaped dimples, and the dimples were full of intoxicating wine.