31: Saving yourself

When she saw the two embracing, Cassia raised a slender eyebrow without any surprise.

She'd heard more than once about the affair between Rege and Jian Qiao from Prince Andrew's crowd. But she also knew that Rege was only toying with Jian Qiao.

From the day they were born, these great lords were different from other people. When they were created God forgot to give them a certain organ: a heart.

How could a group of heartless people know the meaning of the word "love"?

That was why Cassia never sought a benefactor. She didn't want to be kept like a canary that couldn't survive on its own, only to be thrown out of the comfort and safety of its cage and left to starve to death in the wilderness.

The gentleman Earl, however, didn't seem to realize this. He obviously took it seriously. As he looked at Rege, his eyes overflowed with admiration, eagerness, and dependence. These were emotions that only arose when one person fell deeply for another. Such emotions were the floodwaters of disaster and the flames of hell, sooner or later he'd be drowned or burned to death!

Pitiful gentleman Earl! Don't ever lose your heart to a great lord, this was Cassia's warning!

But Cassia would never say these words of caution to another person.

As she thought about it, Cassia shook her head with derision and sympathy.

She walked over, ignoring the fact that Rege was still holding Jian Qiao in his arms. She wrapped her slender hands around Rege's arm and dragged him towards the diamond counter. "Darling, how long are you going to leave me alone? Haven't you noticed I've been waiting for you?"

After being forcibly pulled away, Rege's face turned black. He furrowed his brow as he looked at this ignorant woman and really wanted to curse her. But only if the gentleman Earl weren't present.

"Can't you do anything without me?" He forced down the fire in his heart.

Cassia responded in a delicate voice, "Yes, you're right. I can't do anything without you. I need you like I need a warm fire in winter and a cool breeze in summer."

This was the first time she'd acted like a spoiled little girl to a suitor.

She was really putting in a lot of work for those diamonds.

No matter how angry Rege was, she could pretend she didn't notice. She just needed him to take out his pen and sign today's receipt. The only thing she loved was money, what were men? What did their joys and sorrows have to do with her?

Faced with such a brazen person, Rege had no choice. He darted a glance at the gentleman Earl and patiently endured. "Let's go, I'll help you take a look."

If he delayed any further, this woman would pile on even more sickening words he didn't at all want Jian Qiao to hear. They'd contaminate his ears.

As these thoughts went through his mind, Rege didn't have the slightest awareness that Jian Qiao's words were a thousand times more sickening than Cassia's, but they didn't bore or disgust him at all. On the contrary, he was addicted, and he couldn't extricate himself.

Jian Qiao followed behind them and the gentleness in his eyes slowly receded, unknowingly gaining a tinge of ruthlessness. To put it bluntly, he'd begun to hate this lady.

"How about this brooch?" Cassia pointed to the large blue diamond she was wearing, then to a hatpin sitting on a shelf.

That hatpin was made of an oval diamond with a crystal clear brilliance, bigger than the pigeon's egg-sized stone on the brooch. It was surrounded by several ostrich feathers, dyed pink, about half as long as an arm. If the design was slightly over the top, its price was even more over the top.