Ch. 32 - Kicked Out

Rachel sat there in shock. She felt like she had been punched in the stomach.

"Seriously? You're blaming ME for this?!" she asked her Mom in disbelief. "You can't be serious. Somehow it's MY fault that Laney was jealous of me all these years because I was a good skater? And I had NO idea she had some school-girl crush on Cain before we started dating. Am I supposed to be a mind reader? He's way too old for her anyway!" 

Her Mom looked down at the floor and shook her head. "I don't know. All I know is that everything was good before you came. There was no drama." She sat there on the edge of the bed with her elbows on her knees and her hands clasped together, hanging her head. "I think it would be best if you moved out and got a place of your own Rachel."

"What?" she asked, scrunching her face up. "You know I can't afford that! You're seriously gonna kick me out when none of this was my fault?!" she shouted, as tears burned at her eyes. 

"Yeah," her Mom shrugged with an exhale. "I guess I am," she said, getting up and walking into the bathroom, shutting the door behind her. Apparently she was done with this conversation.

Rachel was stunned and hurt and couldn't get out of there fast enough. She got up and grabbed all of her stuff, shoving it in her huge suitcase that had all of her skating gear, costumes  and makeup in it for tomorrow. 

She zipped it up, with tears running down her cheeks and stood it up on end, sliding out the long handle and rolling the huge heavy suitcase behind her out the door and down the hallway as she got out her cell phone and called Cain.

"Hey babe!" he said happily. "Are you all ready for tomorrow?"

She couldn't even get any words out. She just started to sob and choke on her words.

"Rachel? Are you okay? What's wrong?" he asked, sounding worried.

"Can you come get me?" she sobbed. "I have nowhere to go."

"Of course I can. Where are you?" he asked with concern.

"I'm only twenty minutes from you. I'm in Richfield at the Hyatt Regency. I'll be waiting in the lobby," she sniffled.

"Ok. I'm on my way," he said.

She sat in the lobby by a window, feeling disappointed when every car that went by wasn't him until finally she saw his big black truck pull up. She stood up and wheeled her suitcase out the lobby door and when she saw him standing there she walked up and hugged him tight and started to cry against his chest.

He wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head, holding her tight and rubbing on her back, saying, "I don't know what happened Rachel but whatever it is it's okay now. I'm here. Everything's gonna be okay."

She let out an exhale and relaxed a little as she laid her head against his chest. Hearing him say that and being wrapped up in his strong arms made her feel a little better. 

"Thank you for coming," she whispered with a sniffle before finally stepping out of his arms and wiping her tears. "Can we get out of here please?"

"Yeah. You can stay with me tonight," he said, lifting up the huge suitcase and putting it in the backseat of the truck and then helping her into the passenger seat.

As they drove the twenty minutes to Saint Paul he said, "You feel like talking about it?"

She let out a sigh, looking out the window at the houses they were driving past. "It's a long story," she sniffled.

"Well we've got twenty minutes to waste if you feel like telling it," he said, looking over with a soft smile and reaching out to take her hand in his.