Ch. 35 - My Coach the Hero

When Rachel had told Coach and his wife what her Mom had texted about her stuff being out on the porch he was so mad. He spent half of the ride home venting about what a horrible, detestable human being her Mom was and how Rachel deserved better.

When they pulled up in front of her Mom's house Rachel saw big cardboard boxes sitting out on the porch and she got out and slowly walked up to them. All of her stuff had been thrown haphazardly into them, her clothes bunched up in piles and not folded and her shampoo and makeup was just thrown in with her clothes, leaking out onto them. 

The way her Mom had treated her stuff was obviously done on purpose, a display of her complete lack of respect for her and that really hurt. Coach Sumners opened the backdoor of his van and helped her load several boxes into it. When they were all packed up and ready to leave the Coach said, "Wait a minute. There's something I need to do."

Rachel turned around and watched him walking up to the front door and he knocked loudly with his fist.

The door opened and her Mom was standing there looking irritated at being bothered.

"Yes?" she asked, clearly in a bad mood.

Rachel was standing close enough to hear what they were saying.

The coach put his hands on his hips and glared at her, saying, "We have Rachel's stuff packed up and were just about to leave, but I couldn't go until I said something to you first."

"Oh yeah? What's that?" her Mom asked, sounding annoyed and disinterested as she leaned against the doorframe and crossed her arms.

"First of all, I can't believe you didn't stay and watch Rachel skate today. I think it's such a shame that you have a daughter like Rachel who works herself to the point of breaking to achieve her dreams but you can't see how amazing she is because you're so obsessed with keeping your other daughter happy," he said, shaking his head in judgement. "A daughter that's a spoiled brat and wants everything handed to her and isn't willing to put in the work it takes to achieve anything. She only wants to cheat to get her way."

Her Mom stood with her arms still crossed and she didn't look amused.

"Are you finished?" she asked looking away with a huff and rolling her eyes.

"No. I'm not finished. I'm gonna say something to you I've wanted to say for years!" he said, throwing his arms out to the side. "You're a shitty mother and a shitty person in general. I always hated you but I bit my tongue for Rachel's sake," he said, turning around and walking away. Then he turned back and said, "Oh, and Laney needs to find a new coach. I'm not working with her or you EVER again."

Her Mom's face dropped in shock. 

"What?! You can't do that! Who's Laney going to train with?" she asked in disbelief. 

"I don't care," he laughed. "But not me. And not that you even cared enough to ask but Rachel won today and she got a ride home from us and will be living with me and my wife now. People that actually love her."

He turned around and said, "C'mon Rachel. Let's get out of here," and stomped away back towards the van, getting in and slamming the door in frustration.

When Rachel climbed in the backseat and shut the door she said, "Wow Coach! Pardon my language but I had no idea you were such a bad ass," she laughed.

"Someone needed to finally put her in her place. That felt really good," he said with a smile as he started up the engine and pulled away from the curb.

His wife reached over and put her hand on his shoulder and said, "I'm so proud of you for standing up to that woman. I've wanted to let her have it for years but I didn't because I didn't want her to stop having the girls train with you."