Chapter Twenty Three

[] Guess who's back:3 []

Hours into the day

Jay and Thomas walked towards the runner's hut. It was about ten o'clock and the maze was due to close soon. Minho had joined them at one point. The trio looked over at a laughing Newt and Aleksandra. "Well they seem friendly." Jay chuckles and raises an eyebrow.

"As long as it keeps both of them from trying to split us apart, I'm fine with it." Thomas grinned and slipped a hand around her waist. She bit her lip, smiling and leaning into him. "Oh hush."

They got to the hut only a few minutes later. Jay wrote down some new details about the maze as Thomas and Minho examined the weird beeping cylindrical object. "Section Seven opens up in two days. Maybe it'll lead to an exit?" Minho suggests.

Thomas nods and puts it in a locked chest only he had the key to. "Jay and I will check it out when it opens up." Jay stood over the maze and ran a hand through her hair. Ever since Aleks had arrived, deliveries had stopped, and the sky was cloudy. How could it get worse.

After staying there for another hour, they headed outside. They were all shocked by the sight before them.

The maze doors hadn't closed.

Immediately, the clacking and whirring of the grievers filled the Glade. "Everyone into the homestead! Now!" Minho yelled and they all headed to the small building. Jay was pulled back by Thomas suddenly.

"Jay, whatever happens. You know I love you, okay?" Thomas said softly, cupping her cheeks with his hands. Jay held his forearms. "I know." She gave him a brief kiss. "We have to get inside. They're getting closer." Thomas nodded in agreement and they ran to the homestead hand in hand.

As soon as they came in, the door slammed shut behind them. It was all silent for a few minutes until they heard clicking and whirring on the roof. Newt had Aleks close to him.

During their walk, they had grown quite fond of one another. Thomas held Jay to his chest, worried for her safety and the Gladers.

They all tensed when the clicking stopped for a fleeting moment.

Then a Griever came crashing through the ceiling.