Scio te

𝕿he car was there, its driver was not

𝕿he car was there, its driver was not. In a bid to stop us from tracking him, my ingenious father had deposited the tracker into the shrubs and had forgotten to erase the address from his phone. If the situation had not been so dire, I would have laughed.

The headquarters of Mughal Companies was a rather plain-looking tower of steel and glass, but it had a strange greenish tint to it like it had been stained with the same ink that was used to print money. The building didn't stand out from the other skyscrapers, but it was easy to identify by the glowing red and black logo at the top. There were glass elevators in each corner of the building, and sometimes from the street you could see them whisking people up and down, but only the executives with offices on the top floors were allowed to use them. The rest of the employees used the general elevators in the middle of the tower.

I stared glumly at the water feature in the center of the atrium. It was a glass wall with the MCo. logo etched on it and water cascading down both sides. Affluence and power. That was their whole brand and it was displayed in abundance, from the lobby right up the marble staircase.

A cough forced my gaze back to the person at hand. The receptionist was staring at me as if I was ridiculous."You want to see Mr. Mughal of Mughal Companies and Holdings without an appointment?"

I knew it wouldn't be easy to walk into the huge granite-walled building and expect to be escorted directly to the main office. Still, the receptionist was treating it as if I were asking to see the president.

"Yes," I curbed my natural instinct to return her question with sarcasm. She didn't look like she'd respond well to that. "I'm here to ask about my father."

"Does he work here?"

"He had a meeting with Mr. Mughal. His car's outside."

She sighed, her attitude signaling that she did not care and for a moment I thought I wasn't going to get a reply. "One moment, please."

I tapped my nails on the glass surface, trying to remain calm.

"Sorry, Ma'am. There's no record of your father or his meeting with Mr. Mughal."

Lies. That's all this company did. Time for plan B.

"Can you give it another try? Please? Maybe it's been lost in the system? Maybe you can ask someone?"

With an irritable sigh, she went back to her computer, her eyebrows pushed together as she worked to conceal her frustration. I glanced over at the security guard who was manning the metal detectors situated before the elevators. Mughal Companies and Holdings shared was one of the top-performing companies in Asia, which meant there were security cameras everywhere. No matter what I tried to pull here, I was going to get caught. It was all just a matter of timing. I was okay with getting caught ... as long it was after I got to find my father and take him home.