Explicatus

❞𝕯aania? Is everything okay beta?" I walked swiftly inside the front door, giving her a brief side hug, and as I came up the steps, putting my phone into my pocket

"Everything's fine. How're you? How's Baba?"

"We've been well. Is that a suitcase? Are you here to stay?"

"Where's Nazia?"

"At her university, where's the driver? The nice guy who used to drop you?"

"He's on holiday."

"Daania honey. Is everything okay?"

"Everything's great. Can't I come and stay with my parents?"

"Of course you can, this is your home."

"Please tell me you have something to eat?" she smiled, relieved."I'm starving."

"Yeah? I'm making your favorite, biryani."

"Perfect."

"Nazia is going to hear back from her potential job today. Hopefully, she gets it. I've prayed fifty nafl already."

"Where is it?"

"It's for a housing project. They want her for their marketing team."

"That's awesome!"

"And it's good that you're here, now that she's had that, we're thinking of moving on with her proposal."

"Oh?"

She moved around the kitchen, lighting the stove, "The boy and his family came for dinner last week. Your father and I liked them. They seemed like nice respectable people."

"What does he do?"

"He's a doctor, like his father. His mother's housewife. It's a small family, just one brother, and sister. They own the hospital, you know, the one near the mall?"

"Is Nazia okay with this?"

"She's the one who pressed us on it."

"If you're satisfied-"

"We told them that we'll only decide once you've met them."

I gave her an impassive look."What would I know of these matters?"

"You're a married woman now. How else would you know?"

"Uh-" I wanted to laugh at how ridiculous the idea was."Where's Baba? Is he in his workshop?"

"No, he's gone for a conference in Lahore."

"What? Alone? When's he coming back?" I snapped, off-kilter and blindsided by her words.

"I can't make him stay in the house Daania," I frowned and stared at her, desperate to compartmentalize like I did when I'd missed something. Set it aside and focus. There was plenty of time to be disappointed about it later. "That makes his condition worse. He'll be back in a week."