Spiralis

❞𝖄ou don't have to marry him

❞𝖄ou don't have to marry him."

I pulled the phone away from my face and stared at the black screen, half-expecting it to ring, praying for anything to get me out of this conversation, it didn't. "Famous last words."

It was a weekend and a day since the whole marriage debacle. And each minute that passed felt like more little pieces of me were withering away into nothing. Even with the dropping degrees, it did absolutely nothing to cool the fever in my blood from the other night. Like a cassette on repeat, the words repeated over and over again, distorting reality and my mind until all I heard was a distorted version of my future spread out in front of me.

"You could say no."

"Is that why asked me to drop you off?"

"No, I thought about it over the weekend."

"Did you also think about the fact that I have no other option?"

"I know you don't."

"Remember all the fuss Baba made when I decided not to opt for engineering? Remember the whole fiasco where he said I wouldn't amount to anything? That I didn't have anything? That the measly salary wasn't good enough? That he was the one who owned everything. Well, look at him now."

"You've held on to that?" I cleared my throat and dropped my gaze.

"I was a teenager Nazia, I'd be lucky to forget that."

"You can't be doing this to prove them wrong Daania. That's suicide. Ghazanfar would destroy you."

"They never gave us a shot. They never gave me a shot," my hands fidgeted on the steering wheel; I really wished I had something to distract my mind."I wasn't good enough for them to wait. I'm just another asset of theirs that they want to sell to the highest bidder."

"But you can't be married to that boorish, brainless..." ugh. Genuine concern. I had no defense against genuine concern—especially when it came from Nazia.

"I'm aware of what I've said. But if that boorish brainless rich man can help us, why not?"

"Well, there goes the feminist movement."

"Don't be ridiculous. Feminism is about having a choice. I'm choosing to ruin my life," I answered, shooting a glare at her.

"What if you found another bidder?"

"Sure, let me pull up my dance card, oh no, it's empty," I stared at the grey skies, not wanting to look at her and see her pity, trying to find the answer written on it. "Don't Nazia. There's no point arguing about it. What's done is done. Mama will say yes to them when they come to our house on Friday. She's promised to schedule the wedding at the end of December, so I won't have a breach of contract," and then I'd never see Taimoor again, the thought came unbidden to my mind.