Chordis

𝓢crambling to get to the camera application on my phone, I swiped to record the whole conversation

"Let's hope they don't back out..."

"They won't. They've provided the funds," I shuffled closer, trying to capture the faces, my hand outstretched, the phone held by the very tips of my fingers. I tipped forward slightly as my heart exploded against the front of my chest, the force of the revelation making me sway.

"I can't wait to see the look on the beast's face when he realizes that someone cut off his legs from underneath him."

"Would serve him right," he said roughly in agreement.

"I'll let him know that you've done the job on your end. Thanks for the tip. We'll move the timeline to the second quarter," I somehow heard him speak over the pounding of my heart, and then turn away, giving me the back of his head, blocking out the face and shape of the other man responsible. Anger surged and I sank my teeth into my lip until I tasted blood before drawing it into my mouth and sucking. They nodded at each other and left, leaving me standing unnoticed in the shadows.

I had to find Taimoor.

Turning on my heel I looked around for my husband, who seemed to have been herded into a group of eager men waiting to get their turn with him, a non-existent spotlight shining over him. As if sensing my appraisal, Taimoor scanned the crowd and when he spotted me, I felt a frisson of energy shimmer over me. He didn't look delighted. He looked... hungry. Time slowed down to the glimmer in his eyes, the turning of his shoulders, and the slight tilt of his head. The corner of his mouth inched up. And it felt...intimate. Like we shared a dirty secret. Like I was the one he would share all his secrets with.

Was there anything sexier than long looks across a crowded room where everyone else just melted into the background? Was there anything better than knowing that there was someone in the room that was waiting for you? My cheeks heated and desire revved to life. It made my head feel light and my knees feel weak.

He picked up on it and those unfairly melancholic eyes lit up with a spark.

"Mrs. Mughal."

Blinking rapidly to break Taimoor's gaze, I focused on the impeccably dressed man in front of me. Had he snuck up on me? How did I not see him approach me? It was hard to shift gears between being unreasonably turned on and being blindsided by an unexpected associate.

"Mr. Talpur."

His jaw ticked, but he remained impassive, nodding in greeting. "Please call me Badar."

There was no way I was calling him that. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"Thought I'd drop by to support the cause," he flashed his unnaturally white teeth. His black Armani suit was tailored, and his Rolex polished to match his loafers. Even now, dressed to the nines, he looked rough around the edges. With his father's jaw and his mother's eyes, he had his street boy tan. His bow tie was knotted, tight against the open collar of his shirt. His mane was cropped at the collar, just rounding off into the shirt.