It's not real - part 2

He is willing to let what will be, be. It goes against every instinct in me. I always want to fight. Fuck fate, or destiny, or whatever the hell you want to call it, I will make my own future thanks.

Nevertheless, I feel the peace that emanates from the Gnarr. He is not afraid. He accepts that someone is going to die today, and he has decided it's him.

Accepting fate, I suppose, yet choosing how it plays out? I know there is a lesson here, maybe I will figure it out later.

The beast cackles loudly, sounding more like a snarling screech than laughter. The Gnarr looks at us, silently saying with his eyes what he didn't dare voice. Run!

I look to Ufrik, unsure what to do. He just shakes his head no, barely moving, but his message is clear. We wait. Suddenly, a horrific scream pierces the air. My breath hitches in my throat as I look at the sound.

The sudden awareness I had gained just a heartbeat before through my Eye, vanishes. Terror and utter disbelief grips me so tight, I am sure I will never breathe again. My eyes stare unblinking, at the gruesome scene before me. I want to look away but I can not. I can only watch.

"Focus on your K'ai Zea. This isn't real, remember that. The Gnarr is fine. You only get hurt, really hurt, if you fight what is meant to be."

I can't look at Ufrik. But I do reach for my K'ai. It is an instinctual act, without conscious thought. I need protection and comfort. I need my K'ai.

The Gnarr lets out another blood-curdling scream full of soul wrenching pain. It quickly turns to a quiet gurgle, then eery silence.

Just when I think I can't take it anymore, the Jakal preparing to eat the Gnarr, the awful ringing starts again. The white light blinds my vision, and I feel relief. This world is finally over.

I am already firmly focused on my K'ai, even though I don't know how, and it takes me away from the ringing but not the light.

This time I watch the new world form around me, never losing consciousness.

It is rather magical really. Watching a world form from nothingness. Trees form from particles of light as they slowly solidify and take on colour. Mist swirls around the bottom of the trees as ferns slowly unfurl and sounds of wildlife start to trickle into my ears. Rays of sunlight hit the side of my face, prompting me to turn and lift my face to the sky. Stars, that feels glorious.

However, when my eyes close to enjoy the warm rays, I don't see the darkness behind my eyelids. Instead, the image of the Jakal grabbing the oversized Gnarr, piercing him right through his stomach with his large clawed thumb, prompting the first scream, haunts me.

The Jakal then lifted the Gnarr upwards off the ground, blood running down from his stomach to the Jakal's hand, then its arm, to drip off its elbow. The Jakal's tongue flicked out, licking the stream of blood running down its forearm. A strange hiss escaping its mouth at the taste. It had been ecstasy for it.

Suddenly its eyes had narrowed, teeth clenching and a huge puff of steam escaped its flaring nostrils as it quickly reached up with the other clawed hand.

Grabbing the Gnarr with both sets of claws, it tightened its grip until almost all his claws pierced through the Gnarr's torso.

The poor Gnarr screamed in agony. The sound so soul-piercing, I had felt a part of my heart break with him in that moment.

Thinking of it now I feel a cool tear roll down my sun warmed cheek. Didn't know crying in a virtual world could feel so real. Wonder if my body is crying for real?

The memory won't leave. It has to finish playing in my mind like a video without a pause or stop option.

In a great show of fierce brutal strength, the Jakal slowly tore the Gnarr in two then.