history - part 2

It's decided I will continue my original mission as soon as the doc clears me. They agree to let Britt accompany me this time. It helps he not only has an amazing combat record but is one of the finest field pilots in Armada.

I listen to the door slide shut behind them, as Sica and Nekkal make their exit. Looking over to Britt I am amazed to see he is still frozen in place. Damn, he's intense. I am uneasy and at a loss for words. Sica had been a good distraction. I feel myself swallow a lump in my throat.

Britt finally stops staring at the door and looks at me. His face blank as he keeps his military strict posture.

Something in my eyes must tell him how awkward and uncomfortable I am feeling because his face soften slightly.

He finally shakes off his cold stance and takes three swift strides towards me. We are finally alone. However, the doc could come back at any time.

I feel torn between screaming my frustration and wanting to cry from it. Once again he intuitively just knows what to do. Sitting down on the bed he scoops me up and hugs me tightly. I curl into him, bringing my knees up and burying my head in his shoulder.

"Don't worry Zea, it will be ok. I promise."

"How are you not furious at me?" I hear him swallow hard. I brace myself for his answer.

"How would you feel if I told you I knew everything the whole time?"

My heart stops. What in the stars?

"Explain."

My muscles stiffen and Britt pulls back a little to look down at my face. His thumb strokes the fine lines on my furrowed brow, down my jawline, to rest on my chin. He tilts my face up and looks me square in the eyes. Then his mind speaks to mine.

"The Orikai sent me to watch you. They couldn't tell you how important you are because you weren't ready. But whether you're ready or not, the truth always finds a way out. And they wanted someone they trusted with you when it did."

I feel sick. He had been sent to watch me.

"How long?"

I had left the sanctuary of the Orikai and went directly into the Armada Academy at the age of seventeen. Had Britt already been there? I couldn't remember. The first time I remember meeting him, was my first mission. We had been placed in the same unit.

"I was with you on Orik. They just made sure you never saw me. I had to watch you, learn everything about you. Right down to the subtle twitch in your eye when you're about to lose your temper. Or the darkening of your eyes when your heart is breaking." He whispers the last part looking guilty as he holds my gaze.

"Why?"

I can't breathe. No! This isn't happening. Not Britt. I need him!

"They needed someone to guard and protect the Universe's only hope at finding the one who will save us from the Zu'Lar. They need you to find the one who can stop this Universe from self destruction Zea."

"What the hell are you talking about Britt?" I jump out of the bed, out of his arms, away from his reach.

I stand chest heaving, eyes blazing. I feel a tear trickle down my left cheek. How the fuck could he do this to me? He is supposed to be my friend!

"Zea, please. Is this not better than thinking you had been hiding, lying to me, for years?" Was it? I don't know what to think.

I am supposedly a Krog and not just any Krog. The one hope this Universe has at finding the one who can save us? My head hurts. I feel ill and I want to kill something, all at the same time.