time to go - part 1

I am lost in my thoughts as I auto-pilot back to the South gate. Humans can potentially see the metaphysical. I have never considered such a thing before.

Our soon-to-be new members in our compounds are cannibals. Hopefully, not too many of them. And we have somehow missed survivors on our sweep of this continent. And let's not even bring up the puzzle that is Tomthas. Creepy fucking wrinkle he is.

Couldn't anything just be cut and dry?

I stop mid-stride and find myself looking up into the late afternoon sky, head leaning back as far as it can, hands on my hips, feet braced apart, letting the strange warm air kiss my skin.

Timing is everything because suddenly, something explodes in the space just above the planet's atmosphere, almost directly above the compounds.

Well, as far as I can tell from my position, it is directly above the compounds. But the exact location of the explosion isn't what makes my heart speed up.

I watch as a bright ball of smoke with fire billowing out behind it streaks towards the ground. Small fireballs spew out in all directions. It won't be long before we get rained on.

For stars sake. Nothing for it. We don't have any kind of shelter or shield to protect us. Hopefully, most of it burns itself up on the way down. I wonder if anyone else has noticed.

I am reaching for my communicator when the ground starts to rumble.

What the fuck is this now?

My communicator beeps at me from its location on my left shoulder with my hand still hovering above it, indicating an incoming call. I smack the button as I start to sprint the rest of the way to the gate.

"Yes."

"We have incoming Marshal!"

No? Really? I keep my snide comment to myself, instead choosing to say, "Yes."

"Looks like an Armada military transport ship. Its current trajectory should place it 100 meters North of our borders."

Wait, what?

I am glad our new visitors can't see me as a fresh burst of speed punches through my limbs. I am used to far larger planets with stronger gravity. On my world, the one I was raised on, the gravity easily equals eighteen-point-four meters per second squared. Here on this planet, it is a measly nine-point-eight meters per second squared.

Simply put, it means that a falling object will accelerate towards the surface at a speed of about 9.8 meters for every second of free fall. So I am used to a lot more resistance when I move.

Compared to the Humans, my soldiers and I are insanely fast and strong. We can jump over their trees and run faster than they can blink. Well sometimes. Either way, it usually freaks the Humans right out when they see us in action.

My breathing comes easy, years of training and conditioning making my run effortless, for now.

"How come we didn't have any warning, Captain?"

Stupid question, I know. I am not expecting an answer. If I wasn't notified, why the hell should I think he had been?

So I don't wait for an answer and instead ask, "Where is General Tallik? And don't say you don't know, just tell me when you find out, Captain!"

I fly through the gate, and the guards posted there are ready for me. They had seen my blurred figure flying towards them, thankfully having the skill and the smarts to know it is me, opening the gate just seconds before I run through it. I don't stop; just keep going.