unexpected - part 2

Small slits, I assume they are its eyes, on either side of its large square snout bore into me, making my skin crawl. Its drooling lips curl back as it throws its head back even further to let out an awful screech. It is deafening this close. My ears are ringing.

It lunges straight up at me, pushing off the ground with its massive hind legs. Out of instinct, one I didn't know I possessed, I feel energy begin to collect around me. The air surrounding my body picks up velocity like a windstorm has just blown in, and just before the creature's huge claws on his front paws swipe at my legs, I push my hands down together towards it.

A huge jolt of energy vibrates through my body, rushing towards my hands. I see a stream of lightning explode from my palms, sending me rocking backwards a few feet.

Gold and white sparks crackle around the beast's head where the lightning struck him, right between the eyes.

As the energy dissipates and I come to rest gently on my ass on the rooftop just behind me, I smell burnt flesh and hair. It makes my stomach want to revolt. It's not the pleasant smell of cooking meat but instead a smell of sudden death and fear. I suck in a deep breath and look over the edge of the rooftop carefully.

The beast lays there motionless, in a distorted heap on the ground. I watch for a few moments, but its ribcage remains still. No breaths are being taken. It's dead.

I almost leaned back on my arms, wanting to tilt my head back and look at the bright sky and breath deep to calm my racing heart, when something catches the corner of my eye. I hear clapping.

"Bravo! I have never seen anything quite like that before. And you killed the Zudrakk in one hit. Wow! Just wow. I think I might love you."

Some weird guy is clapping his approval. He is tall and looks similar to a Zukrog, but he is tanned and too muscular for that to be the case. I can't tell from here, but my second guess is a Feyronian.

Something about this guy is off. I have barely laid eyes on him, and his very existence is already annoying me.

Not knowing what to say or how to react to his praise, I remain silent. I do, however, stand. Whoever he is, I don't see any reason to provide him with an advantage over me.

He is several rooftops away from me, closer to the city. Still, even from this distance, I would rather greet a stranger looking them in the eye than from the ground.

My hair tickles my ears as it swirles around my head. It takes some effort, but I am able to contain the energy I have collected and stop myself from collecting more.

It is like my K'ai is in standby mode. Waiting for anything that will give it a reason to let loose.

The weird guy cocks his head to the side as he examines me. He seems to be thinking about something, making some sort of decision. His eyes are extremely intelligent and clinical as he surveys me from head to toe.

"Well, this does make things interesting. I mean, I had my suspicions, and when Platus sent me to find you, I had my doubts too, but this..." He gestured to all of me with his one hand, "This leaves little room for doubt. You may not know what you are, but your K'ai certainly knows, Zea."

"Who. The. Fuck. Are. You?" He now has my undivided attention.

"Why Zea, I am hurt. Don't you recognize me?" He graces me with a cocky grin. The look on his face pulls on memory just out of my reach. It makes my head hurt.

"Come on, Zea! I know it's in there. That sharp mind of yours. They say we aren't supposed to remember anything, but you haven't forgotten who you are. I know you can remember the rest. It's time to remember Zea!" His face goes from a cocky grin to serious concentration.