Chapter 31

"He definitely won't allow me to go. Should I snuck out?" It is already night. The bright day turn dark.

She could hear cheering voice outside of the manor. They are waiting to light up and release the lantern.

The fact that the lantern festival first started during the Han Dynasty excite her more. But she is afraid of Li Zhao's anger.

Other traditions on this day include guessing riddles, eating rice dumplings, the lion dance, and the dragon dance. Sounds of people hitting the drum increases her curiosity.

Earlier when she got back from the morgue, thankfully Li Zhao hasn't come back home.

"Gu Mama why don't we celebrate it together?" Xu Ling Ai asked.

"The people in the manor won't celebrate it because His Highness never celebrate any kind of celebration." Gu Mama sadly said.

"That was so boring of him!" She criticised him.

"Everytime a celebration is going on, His Highness will allow us to go out an celebrate." Gu Mama added.

"But some of us don't feel really good about celebrating it on our own."

"Gu Mama. Actually His Highness Duke Huai has invited me to go celebrate the lantern festival." She tell Gu Mama with a burden.

"Have you ask permission from His Highness?" Li Zhi Ming is Li Zhao's brother so Gu Mama is not worry. Thus, he is honest and cheery.

"That's the problem. Do you still remember the other day when I went to met Empress Yi?" Gu Mama nodded. Of course she remembered, Xu Ling Ai had told her from the beginning till the end.

"When I came back, His Highness suddenly scold me. He said that I should know my place. Of course I know my place! Jerk!" Xu Ling Ai suddenly explode. She punched the pillow.

"I am sure His Highness did not mean like that. He might misunderstood you because of you meeting with the empress." Gu Mama knew that Li Zhao is being extra careful.

"His Highness and Empress Yi had ill relationship." Gu Mama reminiscing all the past memories about Concubine Fu and Empress Yi.

"But still he shouldn't accuse me without any proof."

"His Highness grown up with no one by his side. Not even his own father. A small child went through all the rough times and road. He eventually adapted the cruel world and became who he is now." Gu Mama grievously tell Xu Ling Ai.

Xu Ling Ai do empathise him as she grow up without a mother. She at least have her father who was there for her until she died.

But Li Zhao never had anyone. He couldn't treat his father like other son treat their father. Their position and title prevent them from being close to each other.

"Maybe I should have tolerated on him more." Xu Ling Ai sighed again. Her day was full of sigh.

Outside of Duke Su Manor

"Come back as soon as the festival end." Gu Mama urge Xu Ling Ai.

Seeing Xu Ling Ai's sorrow face, Gu Mama help her going out of the manor to celebrate the lantern festival.

"Thank you Gu Mama." Xu Ling Ai feel touched by Gu Mama's act. Gu Mama plan to cover Xu Ling Ai when she is not in the manor.

Li Zhao will not come home early as he is busy with the case. So Gu Mama allow Xu Ling Ai to go out.

Running to the Luoyang city, she try to catch her breath. She hope Li Zhi Ming is not waiting for her or she will feel guilty.

Xu Ling Ai arrived right at the entrance of Luoyang City. The people started to light them up when it was near the time.

Her vision of the view starting to get visible clearly. A very familiar man stand in front of her.

"D-did you wait for me?" She breath heavily due to running.

Li Zhi Ming has been waiting for her since evening. He thought she wouldn't come. But he stubbornly wait for her at the place when they first bump into each other.

"No. I've just arrived." Li Zhi Ming lied. He knew she will feel guilty.

"Thank god. Now let's buy some food. This time I will treat you." Xu Ling Ai said showing off her small money pouch.

They walk just like the first time they met. Xu Ling Ai excitedly look around. First time experiencing lantern festival in ancient era.

The town was full of lantern hanging around the city. It was so magnificent. Kids playing and running around. Neighbours sharing food with one another.

"Let's eat some dumplings!" As soon as her eyes fell on the dumplings, she couldn't held her stomach anymore.

Xu Ling Ai order two bowls of it. Li Zhi Ming seems a bit quiet today but she don't want to stuck her nose on someone's business.

"Do you want to try mine?" She order the different filling of dumplings so she offered him.

"Yes." Li Zhi Ming respond. Xu Ling Ai put two of hers in his bowl.

"It tastes good right?" She wait for his reaction.

"Yes! It's very different from what I've tasted before." Li Zhi Ming exclaimed.

They ate while talking to each other. Times does fly so fast. She watch some firecrackers performances. And she also had the chance to watch dragon performance.

"Should we buy a lantern? I would love to light it up!" Today she want to do everything that she had never did in the ancient era.

Li Zhi Ming chose a simple lantern while Xu Ling Ai chose an extravagant lantern. It was a bit too big for her.

"What?" She raised her eyebrow.

"You are a bit greedy when it comes to lantern is it?" Li Zhi Ming laughed at her. She glare at him in return.

Everyone including Xu Ling Ai and Li Zhi Ming is standing in the middle of the road. She excitedly light up the lantern.

"Should I write something?" She muttered to herself when suddenly someone bumped onto her.

"Sorry miss." A dark and low voice apologise for bumping onto Xu Ling Ai.

"It is okay.." Xu Ling Ai respond but the man walk away quickly.

Li Zhi Ming question whether she is okay so she nodded. But then she feel something wet on her arms. She look at it and found out it was blood.

But it wasn't hers as she is not injured anywhere. The colour of the blood catches her attention. It was the same as the blood she found on the victim's. Mixed of black and red.

At first, she thought it was just a coincidence. However, when she take out one of her needles and poke on it, she was so sure it is one hundred percent the same.

"This is the chance for me to prove to Li Zhao that I am innocent." Xu Ling Ai exclaimed. Li Zhi Ming look at her weirdly.

P.S.
Have y'all light up a lantern?

VOTE and COMMENT if you like this chapter!

Thanks! 💖 - R