Chapter 57

"Are you still thinking about him?" Li Zhao's voice startled the daydreaming Xu Ling Ai.

It's been a month since Chanyu left the capital and she never heard anything from him again. She never thought that their friendship will end.

"I was just thinking that our life has always been going up and down. It feels rather sentimental when I think about everything that we went through." Xu Ling Ai stare at the bright cloudy sky.

Standing in front of the window, she feels like living in the ancient era is indeed hard. Living in ancient era, made her somehow more matured.

Looking at her back, Li Zhao went over and wrapped his hands around her waist firmly. He knew she is still feeling sorrow about everything that happen within the very short time.

"Sometimes I wonder if I did the right decision coming to the capital..." She muttered.

Little did he know that a cold tear trickle down her smooth cheek. Her eyes turn red. Her lips tremble trying to hold the sobs.

"If you hadn't come to the capital, I wouldn't be who I am right now. Right now I am the most happiest man in the world. You have no idea how much you mean to me." Listening him saying that makes her eyes get even more teary.

"But I couldn't cure you. I feel very useless." After countless of trying, she still failed to develop the antidotes.

"Don't blame yourself. You did your best to help me and I am very grateful for it. Don't worry much. Wu Xi is close on finding the Ten thousand years fox blood. I will be fine." Li Zhao faltly lied. He has already give up on finding the antidotes long time ago which only a tale.

Hearing his lies which is trying to ease her heart made her feel sorrow. She knows that he can't be cure. But she pretend not to know.

Silent fell upon them as Xu Ling Ai try to keep herself from crying harder. She try to sniffled quietly, but an involuntary whimper escaped her lips.

"When will you tell me that you're dying?" Her question made Li Zhao freeze. At the same time her tiny tears drop on his hands which is around her waists.

He turn her around just to find that tears had stain her face that always carry a smug smile. Hearing her gut-wrenching sobs tore through his chest.

"I-I..." Li Zhao stuttered when facing his crying Consort. He is totally tongue tied hearing that question.

"Are you abandoning me alone?" She is totally helpless.

Without replying to her, he pull her into his embrace.

'Don't cry. Please.." Li Zhao wipe her tears. He hug her tightly as if he is holding his whole world.

Dying was never the situation that he is afraid of. However, leaving her is the most scariest moment he is scared of. He wonder how will she live alone.

Even though he knew that she is strong enough to survive in this cruel world. But he is still worry about her.

"I really wish that you will always be happy even without me by your side. You will always be my Princess." His eyes turn bloodshot.

"I am so sorry for not telling you. I don't know how to tell you. I'm so sorry." Li Zhao try to persuade Xu Ling Ai.

Hearing his voice cracked made Xu Ling Ai cry even harder. This is the first time she break down so badly ever since she came into the ancient world.

Her head hurts. She couldn't think straight. Her heart feels like something is tearing it apart. She feel helpless.

"H-how am I going to live without you?" Xu Ling Ai stare at Li Zhao with teary eyes.