chapter three

a voice yells out, making y/n look up and seeing a stray served ball coming at her. instinctively, she goes into a squat and bumps the ball up perfectly and spikes it back in the direction.

the boys spectating looked at her in awe, surprised by her quick reflexes and recovery. "l/n-chan! that was amazing!" oikawa gushed, making the girl blush from the praise and embarrassment.

"it's nothing, oikawa-san! the serve was fairly strong and i was afraid that i wasn't able to cleanly pick it up." she says, her hand scratching the nape of her neck.

a boy with light brown, short-cropped hair, jogged up to the three and bowed. "sorry about that, didn't realize that someone else would be here."

"hah? makki, what if i came through that door?" oikawa asked, drawing the boy's attention to himself.

the boy, maki, just scoffed, "if it was you, i would've added a little more power."

y/n let out a giggle as oikawa slapped a hand above where would be his heart, adding more emphasis on his words. "cruel, maki! and i thought you were my friend!"

iwaizumi sighed, then tapped on y/n's shoulder to catch her attention. "let's go see coach, he should tell you what you can and can't do."

y/n nodded and followed the spikey haired boy, bidding a temporary farewell to the two brunettes still arguing. she was surprised to see the team's serves have changed, being more accurate on where to place the ball on the other side of the net.

the two classmates went to see the main aoba johsai coach, nobuteru irihata. he had black hair and was shorter than y/n anticipated, but she could still tell he has a large build under his turquoise coloured tracksuit.

"ah, are you l/n y/n?" he asked upon seeing the two walk up.

"nice to meet you sir," she bows down out of respect. "thank you so much for allowing me to experience the seijoh volleyball team practice match."

"it's not a problem." he smiled kindly, "iwaizumi, go and get ready for practice. i'll excuse you and oikawa this time."

iwaizumi nodded, turning to his classmate, "just tell me if you need anything, alright, l/n-san?"

"alright, thank you!" she smiled at him, reassuring that she'll be fine. he nodded, jogging to the doors that lead to the boy's club room.

irihata sat on the bench, continuing to watch his volleyball team practice. "today's rather laid back, just practicing more on precision and strength. we could run a set or two if you'd like."

y/n sat down, grabbing a spare notebook from her bag and flipping to the last few pages. "i wouldn't mind seeing couple sets, i'd like to see what they've got in their arsenal."

the older coach nodded, spotting the captain and vice captain. he blew his whistle, calling everyone to gather around him and y/n.

"would you like to introduce yourself, l/n-san?"

"sure! i'm l/n y/n, class 3-5. i'm here to observe and use this opportunity to get closer to my dream as japan's best athletic trainer. please take care of me for the day." she bowed to the boys.

"athletic trainer, eh?" oikawa thought, glancing at his bestfriend. he made a mental note to himself, before deciding to speak loudly to his team, "don't let l/n-chan distract us from doing our usual warm ups. she was previously a volleyball club manager, and we could use the feedback."

the team let out a 'yes sir', breaking out once coach irihata told them what was planned for the practice. the boys split up and jogged to the either ends of the volleyball court, immediately practicing on their serves.

y/n noticed that most serves were outstanding, they had power, speed and momentum, however she could tell some were focusing more on power rather than accuracy. she made a quick note in her notebook.

powerful spikes. could be a double edge sword if not practiced correctly.

 could be a double edge sword if not practiced correctly