chapter thirteen

"oi! shittykawa, we need to continue practice for tomorrow's tournament— oh hi y/n-san." iwaizumi's scolding stopped as soon as he saw the h/c girl standing next to his best friend.

"good afternoon iwa-kun! i'm just here to deliver the message, you came in just in time though!" she smiled brightly before continuing, "come by the bakery as soon as practice ends. i have a surprise for the team when you get there."

iwaizumi nodded, informing the girl that they have to leave for practice and promised to come by. y/n nodded, bidding the two goodbye, and headed to her work. a tick mark soon returned on iwaizumi's head once oikawa whined about y/n leaving, complaining that she should watch them practice again so he could brag about how his serves are amazing.

iwaizumi was quick to smack his head, grumbling that he was a complete showoff.

"hey! iwa-chan, there's nothing wrong with wanting some validation, especially when it's from y/n-chan!" oikawa groaned, rubbing the back of his head with his hand.

"why do you need validation when you literally have a fan club?"

hanamaki jumped into their conversation, "y/n-chan doesn't really compliment us without giving us some feedback."

matsukawa nodded, "except for you iwa~ i'm so jealous for that."

iwaizumi looked at the two with confusion, wondering what the two were talking about.

oikawa chuckled, he didn't know whether to smack his friend or laugh painfully at the fact he's dense. "come on guys, making iwa-chan use his brain will surely make it rot, who's going to be our ace now?"

the two let out a teasing laugh, nodding along with the brunette. iwaizumi glared at them and soon smacked oikawa's head, yelling at the three for being idiots. however, a voice soon made him stop.

"hajime, don't be an idiot and just head into practice." the four looked up to the stands and saw yumie, an annoyed look on her face. beside her were her friends, all staring at oikawa and attempting to flirt with him.

oikawa winced at the sight, the girls reminding him of the witches from a movie he'd seen a while ago with y/n. 'i think it's called shrek...' he thought before sighing. he gave the girls a tight, forced smile.

"r-right, sorry yumie. c'mon, let's get this practice done with," he told the boys, the three nodded, quick to get away from the four girls.

 c'mon, let's get this practice done with," he told the boys, the three nodded, quick to get away from the four girls

"where are you guys going?" yumie asked as soon as they met up in the front of the school's gates. it was unusual to her since the team typically splits up as soon as practice was over.

no one decided to answer, seeing as iwaizumi still wasn't there. none of them wanted to talk to her. eventually, the third years nudged matsukawa hard enough to make him talk.

"little shits— er, we're going to iruka's bakery. our friend said that they have a surprise for the team." he says, ignoring the disgusting lustful looks of yumie's friends.

yumie quirked a brow, "is this friend l/n y/n?" no one answered, just giving a slight nod making the blonde huff. they notice iwaizumi coming towards them and yumie immediately ran up to him, "hajime~ can i come with you to iruka's bakery? i'm craving something sweet~" she practically whines.

"sure love, c'mon let's join with the rest of the team." the team groaned internally, obvious on the fact they didn't want to deal with yumie.

" the team groaned internally, obvious on the fact they didn't want to deal with yumie

"this is the bakery? it seems so plain..." yumie complained, her friends agreeing while as the team rolled their eyes.

"tooru-nii, iwa-san! are you guys done with practice already?" y/n called from behind the counter, surprised when she saw the blond girl but decided not to call on her.

"yup! what's the surprise you have?" oikawa asked with a look hoping she would straight up and tell him.

y/n shook her head though, refusing to spoil the surprise, "just a few more minutes, you guys can snack on a few sweets while i get everything out." she says, putting out a large basket full of keto-friendly and mediterranean snacks then moving to the back of the bakery.

the players quickly grab a snack, mumbling happily at how good y/n's food is. the remaining girls look over at the basket, faces contorting in disgust at the smell.

"what the fuck is this?" one of them asked, poking at the crackers.

"poison probably?" another wondered.

"she might be trying to make you guys lose your tournament tomorrow." yumie told iwaizumi, grabbing the snack from his hand. she took a bite and soon started coughing, "this food is torturous! there's no flavor, it's unhealthy!"

oikawa rolled his eyes at them, speaking up once he finished his snack, "it's safe for us to eat. y/n-nee makes sure of that. whatever makes them 'yummy', she takes out, like carbs and sugar."

"if you've tried other people's dietary snacks, you can tell y/n-chan's snacks tastes significantly yummier." hanamaki interjected.

iwaizumi spoke up before matsukawa could jump in to defend y/n, "i'm sure y/n-san has some regular sweets for you girls."

yumie nodded, giving hanamaki and oikawa a glare before realizing what her boyfriend had said, "y/n-san? did you not remember what i'd told you hajime?"

iwaizumi sweat dropped, explaining to yumie that y/n was like the team manager and insisted the team call her by her first name — which wasn't far off from the truth.

"i don't give a damn, hajime. i'm not staying for this and neither are you. i just remembered we have a date to get to since you've been too busy with your team." she scowls, going outside the store, not giving iwaizumi a chance to deny and argue back.

he sighed, turning to the team, "sorry guys, i have to make up for the times i wasn't able to hang out with her." he bows respectfully before leaving to catch up with his girlfriend.

"wasn't she the one who bails on their dates?" matsukawa sighed, hanamki nodding.

"whatever, that snake doesn't even deserve y/n's food." oikawa mumbled, noticing the yumie's friends leaving, most likely to follow yumie also. "let's just go help y/n-nee."