chapter sixteen

"nishinoya-san, that save you did with your foot was so awesome! it's so cool how you were able to think so quickly and have your body move to save it— i know for a fact yaku-san and the rest of the nekoma team would be impressed!" y/n praised the younger boy, still astonished at the play.

nishinoya blushed feriously at the compliment and the mention of the nekoma team. much like hinata, he stumbles over his words and tries to find a response.

"you were all doing amazing out there and i'm sure the other tokyo teams are going to have fun seeing you." she says, more towards the karasuno team as a whole. after their game, they were able to sit and watch aoba johsai's game with y/n.

"thank you, that's a huge compliment considering your previous standing with the team." sugawara says, smiling brightly at her praise.

just then, everyone could hear a loud smack. they looked towards the court and saw oikawa was able to land a service ace. he served again and although it was brought back to their court, the team was able to pick it up and allowed oikawa to set the ball to iwaizumi, easily earning another point from the spike.

"they've got a very smooth transition," sugawara awed.

y/n could see kageyama nodding from the other side of her, "oikawa-san and iwaizumi-san, the number four on the left. apparently those two have been on the same team since grade school. they're linked, both mentally and physically."

"despite their bickering, they're an outstanding duo," y/n added.

"oh yeah, l/n-san, are iwaizumi-san and uragiri-san still dating?" kageyama asked, suprising everyone around him. the tall setter irked at the faces of his teammates, "what?"

"i just didn't think you were aware that people have lives, much less be interested in their love lives." tanaka earned a smack in the head from their captain from the blunt comment.

y/n just hummed, nudging kageyama and subtly looking over towards where the blonde was seated. kageyama looks over and narrowed his eyes at the friend group. "i don't want to make any enemies, but i've seen how low iwa has been from her. not to mention tooru tells me that she tends to discard his feelings and gaslights him."

"she's always been like that, i just thought iwaizumi-san was finally able to get away from that." kageyama grumbled.

although the two weren't exactly best friends due to oikawa's rivalry, iwaizumi was still an upperclassman that kageyama greatly respected. he, kindaichi and kunimi never liked yumie or the comments she would make about them.

kageyama especially despises her. while yumie was in her second year of high school, she decided to torment kageyama, who was only in his third year of middle school, by being one of the first to call him the 'king of the court' and spreading it throughout campus.

"the great king is so awesome!" y/n and the team turn their attention to hinata and nishinoya, both praising oikawa and wishing to play against him. their attention then goes to the tv camera, but was quickly humbled by one of the camera man calling them grade schoolers.

y/n snickered along with the rest of the team, glad that she was able to find someone to sit with during this day of tournament.

just then a long whistle was heard, signaling the end of the seijoh and omisaki match.

"y/n-nee! did you see i was on the news?! three times! and didya hear my quote?!" oikawa called the girl as soon as he saw the news

"dude, stop bugging her, i'm surprised she hasn't told your ass off yet!" hanamaki's voice is heard followed by whining and arguing.

y/n laughed at the bickering. "i noticed iwa and kindaichi-kun was there as well, that was awesome!"

kindaichi can be heard yelling out a 'thank you, senpai' in the midst of the third year's argument. a few moments go by and she could hear most of the team yelling out goodnights to their teammates and herself.

"are you in the club room?" y/n asked.

"mhm, just packing up," oikawa called out. "you did make it home safely, right, y/n?"

y/n hummed, "after gave you the cd, shimizu and i grabbed some dinner and she dropped me off."

although he knew she couldn't see him, iwaizumi rose a brow at the girl's response then looked at his friend's duffle bag to see a cd, karasuno vs. date tech. since it was an official match, and of course broadcasted on tv, it wasn't illegal to get a recording of the match, but the ace did wonder how many connections the girl had. even though she was gone for two years, it seemed like everyone just knew her. maybe it had to do with the likable and honest personality she has.

"hey, make sure you don't stay up all night," iwaizumi warned, knowing how serious oikawa can be the night before games. tomorrow would be no different, especially since they weren't able to find out the code words or signals the two first years used for their quick attack variations.

"iwa-chan, are you my mom?" oikawa's playful smile and attitude was quickly replaced by worry and regret when seeing his friend's scary face. "sorry, sorry, sorry! i promise i won't! i promise i'll arrive in top condition!"

"stop being stupid, loserkawa." the ace grumbled, "i have to lock up the club room so move your ass, lazykawa."

"i don't like these names!"

"shittykawa!"

"now you're just being vulgar! y/n-chan do you hear his vulgar mouth?! hey— don't laugh!"

y/n laughed at their bickering, hearing the boys close the door and iwaizumi's keys jingle, assuming he's locking the doors. "good night you two! and please listen to iwa, tooru or else i won't make you any more milk bread."

oikawa gasped offendedly, "you and iwa-chan are just so cruel! but all right, y/n, i'll try not to stay up too late, good night."

"good night, y/n-san."

a beep can be heard. iwaizumi let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"what's wrong now?" oikawa wondered, noticing the boy has been stressed since their game ended.

iwaizumi sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "yumie wasn't there when we were done. i've been questioning our relationship lately, and our 'date', if you could even call it that, last night hasn't helped. her friends were following along and only really talked to me when its about money or if anyone on the team is single." he says, definitely leaving out his conversation with y/n a couple days back. her words always sticking to the back of his mind.

'don't forget your own self worth, 'kay?'

"do you think it'll help to talk to her before or after our game tomorrow?" oikawa offered. he wished that they could break up sooner rather than later, but in the perspective of a captain and friend, he doesn't want iwaizumi to be distracted during the game against karasuno.

"i'll talk to her before. i don't want my personal issues dragging the team down and if the worst outcome happens, you know spiking a volleyball is just what i need."

"keep me updated." oikawa replies simply, since no matter the outcome tomorrow, he knows how to respond as a friend and react as a captain. 'i just hope he chooses the right choice.'

'