chapter nine

"iwaizumi-senpai! how'd you think of our games?" taketora asked once the teams left the gym. the sun was setting, meaning they'd have to catch the train back to tokyo soon.

iwaizumi smiled, "you guys were badass, winning all the sets? you're a good ace, yamamoto-san."

the boy was surprised by the last comment, but he quickly recovered, screaming in joy. he immediately went to tanaka ryu, a second year wing spider in karasuno with a similar personality. "you hear that tanaka?! seijoh's ace called me good!"

y/n let out a laugh as she walked up to the boy, "you shouldn't have done that. he's going to get all cocky, kind of like oikawa-kun."

iwaizumi chuckled, seeing the resemblance of motivation. "starting to regret it." he joked. he looked over her shoulder to see nekoma's third years walking up to them. "i knew your defense was tight, but it was better than i'd imagine. and you guys stopped their demon quick."

kuroo smirked at his compliment, "thank you iwaizumi-san, maybe you guys could learn a thing or two. try to get their team stronger, before they go against us officially, yeah?"

"eh? are you implying that we're only level one?" iwaizumi asked, wondering if the boy was provoking him on purpose.

y/n chuckled at kuroo's statement, "ne~ tetsu, you're underestimating our team. how 'bout you teach them a few things? once they can beat you, have them come to us."

iwaizumi nodded, agreeing with the girl. he guessed that his assumption was right when the captain chuckled. "yeah, we'll see during inter high prelims and finals, huh?"

the two teams along with the two seijoh students talked a while longer before nekoma had to leave. they all bid farewell, y/n and iwaizumi leaving in the same direction.

"l/n-san, do you need a ride?" he asked, seeing no other cars in the parking lot.

she shook her head, "i take the bus, so i'm fine, iwaizumi-san."

"i can't let you do that, it's getting dark. i could take you home." he offered, unlocking his car and opening his passenger seat.

"ano... are you sure?" she asked, making sure that he wasn't going out of his way to take her.

"of course, i live near your neighborhood so it's not a bother." he says, motioning for the girl to get in. once she was comfortable, he closed the door and jogged to the driver's seat.

after he was on the main road, he handed y/n the aux cord, in which she happily played her 'driving through the night' playlist. it was catchy and iwaizumi made a note to ask her for her spotify so he could listen to it.

iwaizumi flopped on his bed as soon as he got home from dropping off y/n, tired from the day. he was about to doze off when his phone got a ping. he read the message, smiling softly at who it was.

 he read the message, smiling softly at who it was

y/n-san
today 18:37

thank you again for driving
me home, iwaizumi-san!

did you get home safely?

yeah, i did, thank you

and it was no problem

that's good to hear,
have a good night's rest
( ^ω^ )

thank you

you have a good night, too
read 18:42

iwaizumi walked through the gates of school the following monday, grumbling about how his alarm didn't go off because the batteries died

iwaizumi walked through the gates of school the following monday, grumbling about how his alarm didn't go off because the batteries died. as he was thinking about taking his grumpiness on oikawa, he heard someone clear their voice behind him.

he turned around to be greeted by his girlfriend. he was about to smile, saying he was grateful for her presence, but noticed the irritated look on her face. "is anything the matter, love?"

yumie scoffed, "yes, there is, hajime." she showed her phone, a picture of him opening the door for y/n from saturday. the showed another one of him dropping her off at her house. "what the hell is the meaning of this, hajime? did you not tell her that we're dating?"

"are you implying i'm cheating on you?" iwaizumi asked, furious at the fact she had someone follow him all the way to y/n's house.

"yes, hajime. do you not know it hurts to see your boyfriend with someone else? i thought you loved me." she growled, pointing an accusing finger at his chest.

his guard went down, frowning at the sight of yumie sad. "i- i'm sorry, it was dark out and i didn't want her to be out by herself, and she lived near my house. i only have eyes for you, yumie."

yumie scoffed, giving the boy a hug, "you better."

oikawa scowled at the two. he'd heard yumie's friends tell her about dumping iwaizumi after this, finally having an excuse to leave the relationship until yumie countered with the fact iwaizumi had a car and money.

"loving girlfriend my ass." he grumbled, walking away from the scene. his plans to get iwaizumi and y/n alone together on saturday worked, but it also failed in front of his eyes.

 his plans to get iwaizumi and y/n alone together on saturday worked, but it also failed in front of his eyes