chapter fourteen

"why are there still so many people here?" kunimi grumbled, seemingly annoyed at the long line to the bathroom. kindaichi gave the short boy a deadpan stare as if to say 'really?'.

y/n giggled upon seeing the two first year's annoyance, "you guys are lucky that we didn't have to come too early, it was just as bad." she offers them two protein bars, in which they both gladly take.

matsukawa chuckled, wrapping an arm over the short girl's shoulders, and taking another bar from her hands, "hell yeah, we're so gonna win thanks to these wonderful delights."

"you talk too much. maybe i should pay someone from the other team to spike a ball to your face," hanamaki said, gratefully taking the snack y/n offered, not before saying thank you. matsukawa snuck behind hanamaki, before stuffing the trash into his shirt. the brunette yelped out, having a hard time because of his jacket and shirt. "dude! you've been talking my head off throughout the whole bus ride!"

matsukawa just shrugged, enjoying the sight of his friend struggle. y/n sighed, putting her hands on hanamaki's shoulders, signaling him to stop and helping take the trash from his shirt. "thank you, y/n-san. it's good to know that i can still trust someone here."

matsukawa continued to bicker with hanamaki, making the first and second years sweatdrop at the interaction.

iwaizumi and oikawa finally found the group and walked up to them, "y/n-chan! i missed you!" oikawa called, giving the girl a side hug. "you should've ridden the bus with us," he pouted.

the spikey haired boy rose a brow, "you drove here, y/n-san?"

y/n let out a chuckle, "shimizu, karasuno's manager, offered to pick me up since she wasn't going to ride the bus, so we had breakfast. the game is still going on if you're interested in watching."

this sparked the team's interest, most deciding to go watch it while a few decided to watch other schools. y/n decided to continue watching karasuno to help cheer them on, knowing a few members would appreciate the verbal cheer.

 y/n decided to continue watching karasuno to help cheer them on, knowing a few members would appreciate the verbal cheer

"let's go. it won't matter if we dont win." iwaizumi called, the rest of the boys following him to their gym.

oikawa stayed for a little before also heading out, "you better be there before we start y/n-nee." he called out, smiling at the girl.

"making you anxious wouldn't be the worst thing in the world," she teased. "don't show off with warm ups tooru-nii."

y/n turned her attention back to the court, seeing the karasuno boys run up to the stands with smiles on their faces. a few brightening up once seeing the girl, "thank you for coming!"

kiyoko also comes closer to her. "we'll be by the west entrance if you'd like to meet us there, y/n."

y/n nodded, heading over to the spot kiyoko mentioned. although it's been two years since her last visit to the gymnasium, nothing has changed other than a couple new decorations and furniture.

'i wonder how those miracles and momoi are doing. maybe i should check in on them and bokuto-san.' y/n wondered, making a mental note to visit her old friends during when they're free. 'but that would be impossible because all of them are workaholics.'

though, she doesn't have any room to talk considering all that she does for her future.

tanaka notices y/n first, calling out to her, "l/n-san, thank you for cheering for me!"

"she was clearly cheering for me!" the libero countered, smiling brightly at y/n.

their bickering reminded her of matsukawa and hanamaki, making her smile widen upon seeing the team. a few were missing, though she figured they went to go to the bathroom.

"l/n-san, it's good to see you again!" she saw it was their senior setter who called out to her.

she walks up to him, "you too, sugawara-san! i heard you guys are playing again later, that's crazy!"

he chuckled, "it's a good thing we have hyper first and second years. i'm hoping they get all that energy out before the bus ride back."

y/n nodded understandably. "speaking of first years, hinata-san, kageyama-san! you two did really well. you two could give inuoka a run for his money if he's not careful enough."

hinata blushed madly before stuttering over his words, trying to find a correct response to the compliment. in contrast, kageyama bowed down respectfully before calmly thanking her. the red head followed his actions choppily, but y/n didn't mind at all, finding his actions funny.

"i apologize, i can't stay long. our team's about to play and tooru-nii would kill me if i missed the beginning," y/n says, checking the time on her phone.

"our game's at 1:30! i can escort you to the gym, l/n-san!" tanaka called out.

"i'll go too!" nishinoya added.

y/n sweatdropped at their offer, but decided to go along with it. Kiyoko however sighed, "you know you can always say no, right, y/n?"

"but they'd be so devastated," y/n teases, letting out a small laugh. "besides, they're not too much of a bother and i can bond with my future brother-in-law."

kiyoko lets out another sigh but couldn't contain the smile on her face.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

i apologize for adding this in, it's so annoying, i know. ;-;

i also apologize for how long it took for me to update this and for the lack of iwaizumi in this chapter. as you can probably guess, i got into a writer's slump and just stopped writing all together. i'm currently rewatching Haikyuu (for the millionth time) and i decided to write this so i can try to get out of that writing slump.

i realized when i'm reading through this book and seeing the timeline of the story, it's a little fast paced on all the friendships (oikawa and y/n literally started calling each other brother and sister within a month of their friendship) but such a slow burn for iwaizumi and y/n.

spoilers for the next chapters!

i'm trying to have the events line up while also trying not to rush iwaizumi and yumie's break up, and i know you've been so patient about iwa and y/n getting together, but i also don't want it to seem too rushed on their parts. but it will be soon!! i'm super excited about writing it :)

thank you so much for your patience, i'll do my best to complete and end this series as good as possible (unlike my bakugou story: unrequited love ;-;)