Chapter 37 - This Is Our Life Now Huh?

A firm rap sounded at the cabin door. Followed by a few paces across the wooden floor, I then heard the hinges of the door groan open.

"Morning, Romero," I recognized Bawden's foghorn voice. "I'm preparing a team to head out, ammo and medical supplies are running low, you, Marco and Lucas are on it."

"Okay," I heard Romero say, pausing a moment before he continued, "Maybe let Lucas sit this one out, he lost his father the night we arrived, he may not be in the right state of mind if that's okay Sir."

"I understand," Bawden replied slowly, considering Nicholas' words, "Fine with me, Reya will be leading the team she'll expect you and Marco to be ready in an hour."

I heard Bawden's heavy steps fade away as the door closed again.

I'm sure he would be grateful for Romero’s gesture. Quietly, I shifted off my own bed and exited the room.

"You're leaving," I said softly. Romero and I hadn't been apart since the night he saved me. I knew he could handle himself out there and that Marco would have his back but still it felt strange, I didn't want him to go.

"Yeah," he said as he approached me.

"I know you can take care of yourself but I can't help but worry."

"It'll be okay," he held my face with both hands as he reassured me.

I smiled weakly. His thumb skimmed my cheek before moving his hands.

"Marco," he hollered.

"Polo," Marco appeared in the doorway already fully dressed, "I'll bring him back in one piece Hermosa, don't worry," he winked at me.

"Thank you, Marco," I chuckled.

"Why didn't Bawden ask for me to go?" I questioned, "Isn't his daughter part of the militia? I wouldn't think my being a woman would be a problem."

"He probably doesn't think you can handle it," Romero answered, "He hasn't seen you in action," he smirked.

. . .

I watched as Romero and Marco boarded one of the trucks. Shutting my eyes, I said a silent prayer as they drove away. It was maybe seven a.m. but the camp was already wide awake, everyone seemed to know what they had to do. I noticed Sabina trying to pick up a book that slipped from the stack she was carrying. "I got it!" I shouted to her as I ran over and picked it up.

"Thanks," she said in her airy tone.

"What are you doing with books?" I asked.

"They're readers for the kids," she smiled, "I teach them."

"Wow, that's really amazing," I said genuinely stunned.

"Yeah, I was studying to be a teacher before all of this happened, so when Bawden posed that the children should still be taught I was happy to volunteer, kinda reminds me of before you know," she adjusted the books in her hands, "Anyway, I'm heading over there now, would you like to join us?"

"I'd love to."

We walked over to the make-shift childcare center which comprised of a few desks and chairs under a tent. I helped her set up then we sat and waited for the children to arrive.

"So what did you study or what did you do before it happened?" Sabina asked.

"I was in school, same as you, I majored in Psychology," I thought back to the last psych exam I took, it seemed all in vain now.

"Psychology," Sabina repeated, "Cool, so you wanted to be a psychologist?"

"Oh no," I laughed, "I actually wasn't sure but at the time psychology seemed interesting."