Chapter 50 - The Warmth and The Chill

"Another man done gone, Another man done gone…They sick the dogs on him, They sick the dogs on him…Torn limb from limb, Another man done gone.”

The somber song filled the tray of the truck. The militia member's gruff voice gave the tune a religious impression. Everyone else besides him quiet, like a congregation listening to a heartfelt sermon.

My eyes opened at the sound of the brakes creaking as they slowed. My body jolted from the inertia when the truck came to a complete halt. The singing stopped, and everyone sat up straighter. We couldn't have reached the camp yet. There was no sound of gates being opened.

"Woah, what's the hold up?" The question was asked in varied forms by the militia members.

"More trouble?” Arjoon spoke beside me.

"Maybe it’s something minor.” I responded and hoped it was true.

“We’ve had enough happen to us today,” he groaned.

“Welcome to the apocalypse.”

I stood and moved towards the cabin of the truck. The bright yellow beams of the headlights illuminated the tray of the truck ahead of us. The militia members in the other vehicle  looked just as baffled by the sudden stop.

"Marco, what's going on?"

"Something must be blocking the road ahead," he answered.

"Nothing was in the way earlier,” I noted.

"Which is why this may be a problem, Hermosa.”

Just then, I saw Romero, Bawden, and Dune dismount the first truck, walking around to the front with their rifles at the ready.

"I'm going to see what the problem is," Marco said as he reached for the rifle resting against the dashboard.

"I'm coming with you," Reya informed, grabbing her own rifle.

“Everyone stay alert” she said it loud enough for everyone in the truck to hear before reaching for the door. At her words, a chorus of guns clicked ready.

Reya and Marco exited the truck, going to join the others.

I returned to my seat. A fresh surge of adrenaline reviving my tired limbs. I had a feeling this wasn’t going to be easy. It never was. Two minutes passed, and I decided that should have been enough time to resolve whatever was the problem, if it wasn't that serious.

I looked at the truck ahead again. It was apparent that a few of the militia members had the same thought as me. I watched as they dismounted the truck and walked around to the front.

Adjusting the rifle on my shoulder, I stood and moved towards the back of the tray.

"Newbie's on a roll today.” I ignored the comment as I passed by.

I heard a second, and a third pair of boots hit the tarmac beside me as I dismounted the truck. It was Arjoon and another member who had decided to join me.

"Can't let the new girl show us up on her first day." The guy beside Arjoon shrugged.

"Let her,” Harry yawned from inside the tray, “It's been a long day.”

It had been a long day, I was ready for it to be over.

"Who would do this?” I heard Reya ask as we approached.

My eyes widened once we joined them. A dozen cars were scattered about the road obstructing the way ahead.

"Driven here to block the road.” Romero stated.