Chapter 54 - Forget Me Not

"I'm glad we could all gather like this." Bawden's voice drew everyone's attention as he positioned himself near the bonfire. The light chatter around the camp died down, everyone listening as he spoke.

"I believe these moments are important in the midst of our constant fight for survival. We should never forget the ones we've lost and the sacrifices they've made for our safety." Reya appeared next to her father, a small basket filled with wildflowers held in front of her.

Bawden's voice was filled with a sense of melancholy as he continued, a contrast to his usual tone of confidence. It didn't make him seem weak, but even more of a leader, having both strength and compassion.

"Before. It was customary to lay flowers at someone's grave, a way of showing your respect and honoring their memory," Bawden said, plucking out one of the wildflowers from Reya's basket, "Unfortunately, many of us may never be able to do that anymore. So, as I throw this flower into the flames, let the embers that rise out of the fire and find solace in the wind, serve as a reminder that our loved ones have found their peace too."

Holding up the flower, Bawden looked at it momentarily, "This is for Forbes a strong headed but brave man." He threw the flower into the flames, watching the embers escape.

Reya took the next flower, stepping closer to the fire, "This is for my brother Ryan. He died protecting his sister, his father, and his best friend." She tossed the flower into the flames.

I looked at Dune, who was standing on the other side of Bawden, seeing the briefest break in his stony façade at the mention of his best friend. Bawden rested a hand on Reya and Dune's shoulders, sharing strength between them.

Next to me, Lucas stood and walked towards Reya, taking a flower from the basket. He stared at it for a moment, "I miss you Dad." He threw the flower into the fire and stepped back.

Sabina went next, throwing two flowers into the flames in remembrance of her mother and sister. Bennett went after, remembering his wife and daughter. Each person shared stories and memories, their tears and laughter mixing together as they reminisced about the ones they had lost. Despite the chaos and fear that surrounded us, this small moment around the bonfire brought a sense of peace and unity to the group. It was a bittersweet moment, as we mourned our loved ones but also found strength in the bond we shared with each other.

"Nathan," I looked across the table at my brother, "I think it's time we said goodbye to them. Together."

He gave me a nod and rose from the table. I held onto his arm as we walked toward Reya. I reached into the basket and pulled out three stems of little blue flowers with bright rings of yellow at their centers. I froze as I stared at the familiar flower. 'Forget me not'. That was the name of the flower my mother had told me when I had asked her as a child; they grew all over our backyard at the old house. After learning the name, I would pick bunches of them and bring them to her. 'I could never forget you, Hailey,' was what she'd say each time she received them. I could hear her maternal tone now, like a phantom whisper in my mind.

"It's-"

"Forget me nots," Nathan finished, "I remember them."

I handed him one of the stems, holding the other two. Nathan held up his flower, "This is for our dad. I hope to be at least half the man that you were. I love you, please forgive me." He whispered the last part as he threw the flower into the fire.

"He has," I whispered, squeezing his arm.

Twisting the stems between my fingers, I swallowed, trying to find my composure. "For our mother and sister. I could never forget you." A tear rolled down to my chin as I threw the flowers into the flames. The embers flared; their glow outshone the stars and it gave me a sense of relief. I knew they were in a better place.