Chapter 33 - Shadows In The Trees

In the dark I could make out the woman's slim silhouette move out of the shadows and closer to Marco, her weapon still drawn at his head.

Romero pointed his gun at the woman, "I don't think that's a good idea," he said calmly.

"You heard him," Marco tried to turn his head towards the woman but she pushed his head back with the mouth of her gun, "I said don't move."

Romero stepped forward, a twig crunching beneath his boot. The woman's eyes averted to him; Marco took advantage of the moment swiftly disarming the woman. He captured her in a headlock, now holding the gun against her head.

"Ay, he warned you," Marco said beside her ear.

Instantaneously, white beams of light flashed on us from all around. I raised my hand blocking my eyes; feeling blinded by the harsh glare.

"Drop your weapons!" A husky male voice commanded from an elevated position.

My eyes darted up to the trees trying to pinpoint his location.

"Do it now, you're outgunned," he spoke again.

As he said it the clicking of guns sounded around us.

"Okay, okay, we don't want any trouble," Marco said as he released the woman stepping back slowly.

Our guns dropped to the dirt. The woman picked up her gun, giving Marco a venomous look before retreating back into the dark.

We heard the thuds of boots hitting the ground as shadows dropped from the trees.

"Stay close to me," Romero said lowly as he instinctively held my hand, subtly pulling me nearer to him.

The strangers grabbed each of us, holding us in place. An intimidating older man stepped into the light with a countenance of carved stone. He had a strong jawline covered by a rugged-graying beard that matched his salt and pepper hair. One hand rested on the rifle strapped across his lean body as he approached us.

"You, bitten?" he asked stopping in front of Marco.

"Nope, cross my heart," he said making an X with his index finger over his heart.

The man held his hand out to the side and someone handed him a device.

I had seen it before.

I recognized it from the evacuation point in Barcelona.

Images of the device's light blinking red at my Mom and Nylah's heads flashed through my mind.

Marco eyed the man grimly as he held the device up to his head.

The light blinked green and the man moved to Lucas.

Lucas watched me nervously and I gave him a reassuring nod. A second later the device blinked green.

He checked me next, then Romero.

We were all clean.

"Looks like you get to live tonight," The man said as he handed off the device to someone.

"So can we leave then?" Marco raised an eyebrow at the man.

I saw a faint tilt at the corners of the man's lips as he turned and walked away.

My eyes never left him, following the back of his head. He paused and I thought that he had sensed my eyes on him.

The man craned his head to the side and gave a nod.

Without warning my vision was stolen, thick darkness flooded my eyes, as the dark material was thrown over my head.