Chapter 17

The next morning Ryerson came out of the bedroom to see Lyla gathering the keys and her phone. She was dressed up in a womens navy blue blazer, with skinny black jeans and a plain white shirt. Her hair was in a neat ponytail, with a lock falling on her face. She was wearing a bit of makeup, he could tell, but it only went as far as mascara and lipstick. She smiled at him.

      "Where do you think you're going?" he demanded, "I said no interview." her smile faded.

      "And I never agreed," before he could say anything the door opened and rushing in came his parents. For a second the in-laws froze seeing their not so happy faces but Ryerson was quick to grab Lyla by the waist and press a kiss on her forehead. She looked at him weirdly and he gave her a small warning look. She turned to her in-laws.

       "Are you going somewhere?" her father-in-law asked her, looking at her attire.

       "We were just talking about that," Ryerson said.

       "Ryerson," Lyla warned in his ear. She was sure that any affection was only left for the public, for the media, but this wasn't it.

       "Mom, Dad, we'll be right back," he dragged her into the bedroom leaving his confused parents in the living room.

       "Did you know they were coming?" Lyla demanded. 

       "Of course not," Ryerson replied truthfully. Lyla sighed, looking restless. 

        "Actually, never mind that, I need to get to the interview."

      "You're not going," Ryerson insisted, "we'll talk about it later. There will always be other times you can get an interview, right now we have to take care of mum and dad."

       "Take care of them? What does that even mean?"

        "If you go, we'll barely see each other, and they'll think that we're not a proper married couple," Lyla raised an eyebrow at him.

      "But we're not a proper married couple," he stopped, looking at her, "we're in a contract marriage. Basically a forced marriage. We're not a proper newlywed couple." oh right. She didn't know.

       "Look, my mother doesn't know about the contract," Ryerson explained, her eyebrows shot up in surprise, "she thinks I've been hiding our relationship for five years, seven months, three weeks and two days," he repeated the number he told to the reporters that day. She didn't even think that he would remember it, "she thinks we got married out of love so we need to act like a lovey-dovey couple when she's here. How are we going to prove that if we hardly see each other?"

        "But I haven't got the job yet!"

       "But you will," he insisted, "you've got the license, you've earned scholarships throughout your education and graduated as a class topper, why would they refuse to have you work there?" She gaped at him. 

      "How did you know all of this?" a little flush blew on his cheeks and she wanted to laugh.

      "The point is, Mom is already suspicious according to dad, so we need to act-"

      "Are you guys done in there?" came her mother-in-law's voice. Lyla frowned while Ryerson's cheeks went even redder. He knew exactly what his mother was thinking.

      "Go change, and we're going to have to spend today with my parents," helplessly Lyla changed into a simple shirt and three-fourth leggings, as far as she knew, finding a job was postponed.

       Lyla's mother-in-law, Elsie, was looking at the blankets and pillow on the couch.

      "Are you sleeping here?" she asked, her eyebrows furrowed. Lyla was going to say yes but Ryerson's hand squeezed her waist.

      "No, we were cuddling together late last night, watching a movie and we were cold."

      Bullshit.

     But he defended smoothly, the word 'cuddling' honestly sounding odd on his lips. Lyla raised her eyebrow at his lie. He was smoooooth. Elsie looked happy, Lyla's father-in-law, Richard, wore a little smirk. He knew about the contract, and he also knew that his wife didn't know, this was quite amusing.

      "They're so sweet, aren't they, Richard?" Elsie said, grabbing her husband by the bicep. Richard coughed.

    "Of course, sweetheart," he replied. As the old couple continued to talk Ryerson whispered in Lyla's ear.

     "We're going to have to sleep together tonight," he said quietly. Her eyes widened.

    "What the hell? We haven't even kissed, I'm not ready to sleep with you yet!" Ryerson looked at his wife curiously while his parents weren't even listening. As he understood her impression, a small smirk took over his lips and he raised an eyebrow.

    "So dirty minded," he said, his smirk widening. To her credit, Lyla didn't allow herself to look embarassed. A chuckle bubbled from Ryerson's chest as he continued to stare at her, "I mean innocent sleeping, Lyla. It's not my fault you took it the wrong way." Lyla turned away as Ryerson chuckled again.

      He was honestly happy that they were going to be sharing that room now. He wasn't brave enough to ask her and now he had the perfect reason to get her to stop sleeping on the couch. The day went by and soon Lyla was nervously standing outside the bedroom door, wondering if she should go in. Taking a small deep breath she knocked and not a second later it opened.

       Holy crap. 

       She was wearing shorts. Again. He was already imagining her. On the bed. Right next to him. Her skin against him. 

      This woman was going to be the death of him. But he'd die a happy man indeed. 

      "Um," that's when Ryerson realized he had been staring. He opened the door more and she entered. It took them a few minutes and by then Lyla had set up a pillow wall in the middle of the bed. Just as they were about to lay down Elsie opened the door. She looked like she was going to wish them good night but she frowned at the pillow wall in the middle of the bed.

      "Why did you stack the pillows like that?" They exchanged slightly panicked looks.

      "We-we were just having a pillow fight and the pillows just landed over there," Bullcrap, Ryerson. 

       Couldn't he think of any better excuse? Preferably a better believable excuse?

     "I didn't hear any laughs," Elsie said with another frown.

      "I'm a billionaire, mom," Ryerson said, rolling his eyes, "don't you think I would have gotten a room with soundproof walls?" Elsie's frown suddenly changed.

       "Of course you would have," she said with a small smirk, "because sound proof walls need to cover more than just laughs." They gaped at her, completely understanding what she meant. Elsie laughed, throwing her head back and walking out of the room, wishing them good night. Ryerson sighed fake-ly but without hesitation he threw the pillows and destroyed the pillow wall.

       "If she's going to be checking on us like that then we'd better sleep without the pillows," not having an argument Lyla just laid down on the bed. Ryerson turned off the light and the bed dipped as he laid down on the bed next to her. He couldn't see her but he could hear her breathing softly, her little movements on the bed. He liked it.

______

That's it for this chapter. 

So I think the rest of the story is going to span only about 10 more chapters, so hang onto to me till then. For all you people who want it, towards the end I'm planning on making a chapter where they *cough* do the deed. 😉 And not going to lie, I'm planning on writing some very suggestive chapters towards the end. 

Kinda excited for that to be honest. 

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share!