Chapter 9

Warning: There are swear words in this chapter. If you have any triggers, it is at the end of the chapter, so please watch out for them. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the chapter!

Vlado POV

"So, how has everything been going?" I took a bite of my pizza. Everybody sat around the table, enjoying the pizzas placed around the table.

"Everything has been going well. We got the contracts from the other groups yesterday." Rosa said. I nodded my head at that.

"That's good." Romero sat on my right, with Clarke on my left. Theo sat next to Romero, and the rest of the group sat in the empty seats scattered around the table in an orderly fashion. I invited everybody to stay here to make everything seem fine. They didn't know that I knew there was a leak. And I intend to keep it that way.

"How is everyone enjoying the food?" I asked, looking around the table at the familiar faces. There were ten of us in total sitting at the table. My father and I always believed that having a smaller group of people is better than having to control hundreds of random people. But now I am starting to think differently. Sitting next to each other were Rosa and Scarlett. They were my markswomen and the best shooters I knew. Besides me, of course.

Opposite them, were Liam and Angelo. They were good with fighting, as was everybody on this team, but they also gave me my information. I once asked them for information about an old mafia group, and they gave me everything; names, dates of birth, addresses. In short, they were good at their jobs. Finally, at the opposite side of the table were Rowan and Alexandra. They were good shooters and fighters, but that's really it. They didn't have as crucial a role as the rest of the team.

"It's really good. Did you make it?"

"No, Mattheo did."  I kept my face blank as I answered. Everybody gave Theo a 'thank you' before they continued eating. I saw Romero peer at me from the corner of my eyes, but I made a face that we would talk later. After that, we continued catching up.

* * * * *

After lunch, we left the dining room after packing everything away to do our own thing. I walked down the hall on my way to my office but was stopped by Romero.

"Romero." I greeted. Romero looked slightly concerned as I waited for him to speak.

"Vlado, I understand why you aren't telling Leah and that about us being involved with the mafia, but why won't you let the team know about their existence?" He questioned. It was obvious that he was doubtful of my choice of keeping them a secret from the others.

"Because, if the leak finds out about them, then they will use them against us," I explained. It wasn't technically a lie, but it wasn't the full truth either. It would be very bad if the leak used Leah, Amelia, or Mary against me, but it would be even worse if one of them told Leah-or one of the others-that we were involved in the mafia.

Romero studied me for a moment before he let out a sigh and nodded.

"Now, are we done here? I have work to do." He shook his head and walked off. I continued making my way to my office. 

* * * * *

I let out a sigh of relief when I signed the last sheet of the contracts. I placed them on the thick stack of papers on the side of my desk and leaned back in my seat. I let out a groan when I stretched my back, a satisfying crack being created. I should stretch my legs. I have so many pins and needles in my legs right now. I stood and made my way out of my office, strolling down the hallways.

I walked for what seemed like a few minutes before I saw Leah. I felt myself smile as I walked up behind her. Her back was facing me, so I stayed quiet as I crept up on her. I swiftly set my hands on her shoulders. I really regret that decision. Before I knew it, I was holding my nose on the floor. She punched me. And damn, it hurt.

"Oh my god! I am so sorry!" She crouched next to me, her face full of worry as she scanned my now bloody face.

"Damn, you can really pack a punch." I joked, cringing when my nose shot with pain. Leah did not look amused. 

"Let me help you." She stood and extended her hand. I took it and she helped me stand. I still clutched my nose. Leah carefully took raised her hands and removed mine from my face, examining my nose. She cringed when she saw all of the blood on my face and hands, now also on hers.

"I am so sorry. You scared me." She apologised again. I grabbed her hands and gave them a soft squeeze.

"It's fine. I probably shouldn't have scared you, but I just couldn't help myself." I smiled. Leah scoffed and looked away, but I could still see the smile on her face even though she tried to hide it.

"Let's get you fixed up." She started leading me down the hallway, probably to a bathroom. I followed obediently, only stopping when I made out a figure at the end of the hallway. It was Rowan. He walked down the hallway, not having seen us yet. I panicked, and on instinct, I pulled Leah's hand and dragged her towards the closest door. Luckily, it was unlocked. I pulled the two of us in and swiftly closed the door behind Leah. 

There were no lights on, but I could smell a strong smell of cleaning detergents and mop water. Gross. I could also feel two hands placed on my chest, and it took me a moment to realise they were Leah's hands. I felt my heartbeat pick up and my stomach flutter. I could just see Leah's face from the dim light coming through the door. She had an adorably confused and shocked look, her curious green eyes scanning the room.

"Why are we in the cleaning supply closet?" I heard her ask. 

"Sorry, I just..." I trailed off, not knowing what to say and make sound believable. Leah's eyes finally looked up at mine, searching them for answers. Even though I didn't want to, I looked away. I didn't want her to see that I was hiding something from her.

"You just what?" She asked. In an attempt to distract her, I placed my hands gently on her hips. I felt her body tense under my touch before it relaxed. 

"Where'd you learn to punch like that?" I questioned. I genuinely was curious as to how she could punch like that, but if it distracted her from my weird behaviour, that was a bonus. I knew very few people who knew how to fight and weren't involved with anything like the mafia. Leah's body stiffened when I asked. 

"I didn't." I could tell she was lying. I stepped closer to her, and she stepped back. I kept stepping closer until her back hit the wall behind her. I kept my hands on her hips as I towered over her, my eyes fixated on hers, which were darting around the room, looking at anything and everything besides me.

"What do you mean, 'you didn't?' You can't say that you don't know how to punch and get a result like this," I gestured at my nose, "on your first try." I set my hand back on her hip. Leah's chest began rising and falling quicker than before. 

"Are you not telling me something?" I spoke my thoughts out loud. Her breathing got even quicker, practically hyperventilating.

"Leah." I scowled. I was getting irritated that she wouldn't answer such a simple question. I heard her let out a whimper after I spoke. 

"It was just instinct." She stammered. 

I scoffed. "Yeah, sure it was." I moved slightly closer to her, leaving an inch of space between our bodies. "Tell me the truth." She mumbled something, but I couldn't hear what she said.

"What did you say?" 

"I said get away from me!" She pushed me away from her, catching me off guard. I stumbled slightly, trying to not fall over for the second time today. Leah quickly opened the door and left, slamming the door closed behind her.

I felt the adrenaline of the anger wears off, guilt taking its place instead. Why did I do that? She was obviously scared, but I didn't stop. What is wrong with me?

"Shit." I held my head in my hands as I stood in the darkroom, alone with my thoughts.