Chapter 46

Hi, everyone! Sorry for the very slow updates, I've just had a lot going on with school and everything. But I hope you all are having a wonderful week, and make sure to vote and leave your thoughts in the comments. I appreciate you all very much for reading my book and being patient with all of the updates.
Enjoy!

Leah POV

I could only stare at the man in front of me. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't take my eyes off of him. But not in a good way.

His eyes were on me as well, scanning over me.

I finally pried my eyes away from Vlado and turned my attention to the people behind him.

"Theo! Clarke!" I exclaimed, unwrapping myself from Mary, and ran past Vlado to the two, pulling them into a hug. "I missed you guys."

"Yeah, I think it's safe to say that we missed you too," Theo chuckled, patting my back lightly.

It felt strange around them, it was like they were being careful. I thought they would be all frantic and asking me a lot, but they were all weirdly calm and quiet. What was going on?

"We're leaving, now." Vlado broke the silence, grabbing my arm. I tried to pull away from him, but he held on tight.

"Don't touch me," I demanded, prying my arm from his grasp. I glared up at him. "I can walk by myself."

He didn't say anything as he stared down at me, his jaw clenched. He turned around, walking outside of the shops. It was clear what he was telling us - it was time to go.

I rolled my eyes but followed everybody else outside to the cars. I watched as everyone got into the cars, leaving me to go with Mary and Vlado. The thought of being in a small space with Vlado used to give me good, excited shivers, but now, I could only think about what he might do if he got angry.

I sat in the back next to Mary, Vlado in the passenger seat beside the driver. It was really quiet during the drive, the only sound being Mary answering my occasional questions.

Why were they there? How long had they been looking for me? Is she ok?

I had no way of knowing what Vlado was doing to Mary or anybody else. He could have hurt them, tortured them, done anything he pleased with them, and I wouldn't know.

I asked her that question many times, always with the same answer. 'Yes, I'm fine. I'm ok.'

She must not have known about Vlado being a psychopath.

I wanted to tell her and yell at her that he was dangerous, but I couldn't when he was right in front of us.

Vlado must have known what I was thinking though, because I didn't miss his subtle glances at me in the mirror.

I leaned closer to Mary, staring back at Vlado through the mirror. His eyes narrowed slightly, but he looked back at the road before I said anything. I turned back to Mary, but my mind wandered back to Vlado, and what he would do once we got back to his house.

Vlado POV

The moment I saw Leah, I knew I was going to kill her piece of shit ex-boyfriend. Even with the old bruises on her face and arms, she still looked gorgeous.

Mary ran to her right away, trapping her in a hug, and while I wanted to do the same, the way she glared at me made me stop in my tracks.

What did I do?

I watched as she ran past me to give Clarke and Theo a hug, leaving me standing there, without a hug. In all of my life, I had never wanted a hug as much as I did now, beating the record of practically never.

But if I wasn't going to get anything, I wanted to get her back home.

As soon as I grabbed her arm, she recoiled from my touch, as if I has just burnt her.

"Don't touch me," she spat, pulling her arm from my hand, and challenging me with a glare. "I can walk by myself."

I felt an anger rumble deep inside me, but I refused to act on it. Instead, I turned around and walked to the cars. I didn't wait long, everybody else walked out just a few seconds later.

Once we began to drive, my eyes kept drifting to Leah in the back seat next to Mary. They were talking quietly to one another, and I watched Leah speak to her friend. How did she manage to look so gorgeous even after everything that's happened to her? She's been through so much, yet she's managed to stay standing strong throughout all of it.

Leah's eyes met mine in the mirror, and she glared at me. She's been very distant with me, and I don't understand why.

I'm just glad she's finally back where she belongs. And she's never being taken away from me again.