Chapter 42

Hi, everyone! Sorry for not updating recently.

Let me know your thoughts, and I hope you like this chapter, and please me know if I've made any mistakes or if there's something that doesn't make sense. Make sure to have a great day!

Leah POV

"Hello, amore." I didn't think it was possible to hate the sound of somebody's voice so much, but here I was, standing opposite the man of my nightmares.

"Leave me alone."

He scoffed darkly, stepping towards me. "Now why would I do that when nobody else will stop me?"

I took a step back. "Before you do...whatever you think I'm going to let you do, the bed broke." I pointed at the rusty bed on the ground with my free hand, my hands shaking so much I was scared I would drop the bed leg and my plan would be ruined.

He looked over his shoulder at the bed briefly, rolling his eyes. "Is there anything you can do right?" He turned to inspect the bed. Now was my chance.

I swung the metal leg, sending it crashing into the back of Lucas' head. He fell to the ground, clutching his bleeding head.

He clawed at me, scratching and bruising my arms and legs. But I ignored the stickiness of the blood and kept swinging.

I didn't give him the chance to get up. I swung the bed leg again, never slowing down my blows. I just kept hitting him and hitting him, and something coursed through me, something new.

This didn't feel right. The tables had turned, and now, it was me beating Lucas. Was it right? Because it felt like I was turning into the one man I despised.

I didn't even realise that Lucas had stopped trying to grab me. I finally relented, but held the bed leg up high, ready to continue my attack at any second.

My chest felt tight as I looked down at Lucas. His blood dripped down his head onto his shirt and into his hair, his body splayed out on the cold, concrete floor. Was he even breathing?

He moved slightly, and I held my breath.

He didn't get up.

Finally realising that he was unconscious, I instantly dropped the metal bed leg and rushed to the door. I pulled on the handle, hard, but it didn't budge. I tried again, but nothing happened.

Turning around slowly, my eyes darted down at Lucas. Something sticking out of the back of his pocket caught my eye, and my eyes started welling up.

Walking steadily, I crouched down slowly in front of him. I ignored a tear falling on Lucas' cheek from mine as I reached for the keys. They jangled lightly in my hands as I unlocked the door, locking it quietly behind me. I don't think I'll ever be so happy to hear a door lock ever again.

My footsteps echoed in the dim, brownish hallway, my every nerve on edge. Lucas said that nobody would interrupt, whatever that means. Maybe they weren't here then.

My suspicions were confirmed when I walked into what seemed to be the main room, a few chairs scattered about and a large table. 

I felt like jumping in the air with glee when I noticed a pair of car keys on the table. I swiped it up quickly and rushed out the closest door.

My heart hammered in my chest as I searched for a way out through various, identical hallways. I finally found a door leading outside.

I expected a bright sun shining down on me, cars zooming past on a busy road. Instead, the moon was in the sky, beaming down on the vast, seemingly endless landscape. There were no cars, no people. Nothing.

I was so close to leaving this shit-hole, and Lucas. Again.

I clicked the buttons on the car keys, hearing a beep and a flash of light not too far away. I ran over to a black car, a crossover, I think. I could barely tell in the dark.

I jumped in the car at superhuman speeds, shoving the key into the ignition. The car hummed to life, and I pulled onto the dirt road and drove as fast as I could.

Looking out the window at the straight road ahead of me, I had no idea where I was. There was no way Lucas could've gotten me out of Italy, right?

That didn't matter right now. I needed to just get as far away from Lucas as I could. And then, I could figure out where I was. Maybe I could move again.

Just then, the adrenaline rush finally faded and I realised what I was doing. I was leaving. It was like I was running away, again, which I guess I was.

I was getting away from Lucas, but I was also leaving behind Mary, my new friends, and my new home. And it wasn't just my new home, it was a place I felt safe. A place where I had so many memories made. A place with the people I loved.

And what about Vlado? After what I saw, should I even be thinking about him?

He tried treating me better after the incident, and he didn't do anything to hurt either me or Mary. But things can change. What if he chooses to hurt Mary because I'm not there? I can't let him do that after everything she's done for me.

But I knew the truth. I know I was leaving for fear of what happened in the past. And I know that nobody there would hurt me. I know that they would all look after me. I know that they would all make sure I was safe.

But my body wouldn't stop. It wouldn't let me stop. My hands didn't let go of the steering wheel. My feet didn't falter on the pedals. Instead, they pressed harder, sending me flying down the empty road.

I ignored the sting of the tears in my eyes and the cool touch of them sliding down my hot face. I ignored the pain of the cuts and bruises that splattered across my skin. I ignored the stickiness of the blood on my skin and hands. And I ignored the sobs that escaped my throat at what had just unfolded. I ignored it all.

I just focused on the open road ahead.

The empty, barren landscape around me was comforting and disheartening at the same time.

It made me feel like I wasn't the only one who felt empty. That I wasn't the only one who felt lost, and just like the sun that was bound to shine on the dull landscape, I would find some sort of comfort and hope in the future.

But it also reminded me of the fact that it would take much more than a few simple hours to make me feel safe again. To feel comfort and hope. Much, much more than a few hours. Much more than a few days. And definitely much more than a few weeks. I'd be happy if it all washed away within the next few years.

But also just like the empty field, I was empty. In solitary. Unattended.

Alone.