Chapter 32

Mary POV

Ever since the party, things had been a bit hectic.

Ok, that was an understatement. Things had been really hectic.

Leah's been allowed the past couple of days off from cleaning, but unfortunately not from Vlado. He had not left her side at all. I don't know why. Maybe it was because of the guilt of leaving her in a car alone.

Serves him right.

I still don't know how to feel about Vlado, but since he still hasn't told Leah about his 'job', then I'm gonna dislike him.

Actually, dislike is also an understatement.

I'm gonna hate him. But I'll be nice. For Leah's sake. And kind of mine.

But anyways, aside from Vlado being super duper protective of Leah, and also him bumping up the security around the house, everything's been fine. Also aside from Leah being jumpier than she usually was...and the reappearance of Lucas.

...Yeah, never mind, things aren't fine.

Leah POV

"For the last time, Vlado; you don't need to follow me around," I repeated as I walked into the kitchen.

"Well, the last time I left you alone, a car crashed into yours, your driver died and the drivers had guns. So no, I'm not going to let you be alone unless you're going to the bathroom or sleeping. That would just be creepy." Vlado shuddered at the thought, and I chuckled softly.

"Yeah, it would be, but seriously, you don't need to watch over me. I'm fine, honestly." I got a glass of water and took a sip. Vlado let out a noiseless sigh and took a step towards me, leaving a few inches of space between us. My breath hitched in my throat when he lowered his head and looked directly into my eyes.

I held the cup close to my face to keep some more space between us, but Vlado just pushed the cup away from my mouth and inched closer. My hand slowly moved down to my side and I took a deep breath.

Vlado's face was right in front of mine, scanning all over my face. I felt my cheeks heat up and he pulled away and straightened himself up.

"You know, Leah, in my line of work, I need to be able to read people." Vlado stated, putting his hands in his pockets. "And you and I both know that you aren't actually fine."

I hung my head down in shame. "There's nothing wrong with feeling scared, Leah. You went through something traumatic, and you need time to get over that."

Vlado took my chin in his hand and lifted my head up, forcing me to look into his eyes. "You haven't dealt with something like this before, so it's alright to feel sad - helpless even. You'll get past it and become stronger."

My heart fluttered at the way he looked at me. "But it sucks."

"It does suck," he agreed, "but I'll be here to help you and make sure nothing bad ever happens to you again."

The two of us just stared at each other, even though my hands itched to wrap themselves around him. So that's what they did. I set my glass on the counter on my side and let my hands wrap around Vlado. He tensed for a second, but he eventually returned the hug.

My head lay on his chest as we stood there in silence. We rocked back and forth gently, and his hand rubbed up and down my back soothingly. I closed my eyes and a small smile spread onto my face.

I always had Mary to comfort me in the past, but it was nice to finally have another person. Even though it was in a different way. No matter the things he had done in the past, I felt safe around him.

"I hate to ask you this so soon after the event," Vlado began, "but did you see any of the faces of those people?" His face flashed in my mind, and I shuddered. Unfortunately, Vlado noticed.

"Leah, I need to know if you did so we can find them," he stated, but I still didn't answer. If I told him that I did recognise someone, then he would claim needing to know how I know them, and then I would have to tell him about Lucas. And I didn't want to tell him right now. If I was going to tell him, then I was going to decide when and where, and I definitely don't want to tell him in the kitchen.

I took my head off his chest and shook my head. "They were wearing masks, so I couldn't see their face."

Vlado continued to look at me, and I prayed that he couldn't tell that I was lying, but he eventually nodded before pulling me back into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and laid my head on his shoulder, thankful that he didn't notice.

I was going to tell him, but I didn't feel like now was the right time. Everybody was still dealing with what happened, especially me, and I had more things to focus on.

Things like how to make sure Lucas doesn't find me again.