Chapter 25-4 Days Left

Leah POV

I've been lying on the guest bed for hours, and yet, I have still been unable to fall asleep. I've tried taking some of my sleeping pills, but they haven't worked. Maybe it's the feeling of being in an unfamiliar house and an unfamiliar bed.

I sat upright on the bed and scanned the room for probably the hundredth time. It was all the same. Nothing had changed. Not one item out of place. So why the hell am I not falling asleep?

"Damn it," I muttered as I pulled myself out of the warmth of the bed onto the coldness of the tiles. Without a second thought, I took the blanket with me and wrapped it around my body.

I waddled out of the room, looking down the dark hallway before choosing to go right. I walked as quietly as I could down the hall, careful not to wake anyone up. I kept at this slow pace until I reached a door that lead outside onto a balcony. I headed to the door in a quicker walk.

Whenever Lucas was abusive, I either found a safe space when I drew or outside under the stars. I didn't have my drawing pad with me, so this was the next best option.

I threw open the doors, cringing when they hit the wall and echoed through the hall. I stood motionless for a couple of seconds, waiting for anybody to wake up or complain, but nothing came. I quickly stepped through the door frame and closed the doors, gently this time.

I moved to the barrier of the balcony, leaning my arms against it as I peered up at the stars. I took a deep breath of the fresh air as it blew gently against my face. I mentally thanked myself for taking the blanket with me when I felt the cold against me.

I missed this. It was such a simple thing, but people really underestimated how such things could so much peace. I felt myself smiling as I stared at the stars, pointing out the bigger ones, the brighter ones, and the ones that had yet to make their debut.

"Can't sleep?" I looked over my shoulder quickly, relaxing when the person leaning against the doorframe was Vlado. I nodded noiselessly before looking back up out at the stars.

I heard him move towards me, stopping when he got to the fencing. He mirrored my body placement and stared up.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" He stated, causing me to smile.

"Never took you as the type to stargaze," I teased, looking at him for a moment.

He let out a chuckle as he sent me a glance. "I'm full of surprises."

"I'm sure you are," I agreed before we fell into a short silence.

"So why are you up?" I asked, keeping my gaze set on the sky.

"Same as you. Can't sleep," he answered simply, his mouth in a straight line. "...just bad memories replaying in my head." He elaborated.

I tore my gaze away from the stars and looked at him for a short moment, then turning back to the sky.

"The same happens to me sometimes," I replied in an attempt to make him feel better. I saw him send me a glance, but I didn't return it. Instead, I kept looking at the dark sky.

"I try to explain it to others, but they always say that they never understand, or that I'm being sensitive and that I should just forget about it," he looks at me again, and this time, I return it. "But it's nice to have somebody who understands the feeling."

My stomach twisted for a split second, but I covered it with a small smile. He returned it, and we both went back to looking at the stars in silence as they grew brighter in the dull sky.

Mary POV

Earlier...

"Hey, Mary." I blinked up to Romero as he sat opposite me. "Could you please clean the kitchen when you're done? Amelia put all of the equipment away, so you'll have to get it from the cupboard." I sent a quick look to Amelia as she gulped down her pasta.