Retake

6 months later

6 months later

Walking out with the older students, you watched as they all went up to their parents.

Some cried from joy and some from disappointment, but you couldn't help but have a stoic look on your face.

You knew that no one would be there to meet you, but you sat on the swing deciding to wait 5 more minutes.

Staring down at the metal in your hands, you ran your fingers across the engraved symbol of the leaf.

Although you expected to be happy, or even proud of yourself, you weren't.

It was as if you felt nothing.

You trained hard and were pushed far beyond your limits, but you didn't feel any different than before.

'Weird.'

As you were going to stand from the swing, you noticed someone standing near the tree next to you.

He was an old man dressed in white robe like clothing and had a hat that read Fire Shadow.

You almost fell to the ground, surprised that such an old looking man snuck up on you.

On further inspection, he looked almost familiar, but you couldn't quite remember.

He smiled out at the children, "Each of the children in our village is like the world's sun. The world is boundless."

Unsure of what he was trying to tell you, he seemed to see your confusion, "Can I tell you a poem I made it?"

Starting to think the old man was a little crazy, you backed up but nodded your head.

Facing you, he smiled with his eyes closed, "Be sure to remember it, it's very important to me."

You crossed your arms across your chest and closed your eyes, thinking, 'No way am I going to be able to remember something like that.'

Laughing at your conflicted face, he looked to the sky, "You don't have to remember the whole thing, and I don't expect you to understand it right away. But one day when you're older, I hope you think back and recall the words of this old man. It's about a way of thinking that is sure to be useful in your future, and concerns the will of fire."

Opening your eyes, you turned your head to the old man, now much more interested in what he had to say.

"In the place where leaves dance,
The fire burns.
The shadow of the fire shines on the village.
Once again, new leaves sprout."

Without sparing you another glance, he starts to walk further away from the academy.

Repeating the mans words over in your head, you try to piece them together, but they don't make sense.